Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coolboarder,
    I have to replace a Vittoria after 4,631Km (Not to bad - and only a couple of punctures) as some debris took a large chunk of rubber out of the tyre.

I was considering giving the Pro 4 a try and I know you are a fan. After a couple of months what do you think of the Pro4 Endurance. Is there any advantage compared the Pro 4 Race Service Course?
    Last edited by nickdodo; 31st December 2012 at 4:48 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by nickdodo View Post
    Coolboarder,
    I was considering giving the Pro 4 a try and I know you are a fan. After a couple of months what do you think of the Pro4 Endurance. Is there any advantage compared the Pro 4 Race Service Course?
    After my earlier reticence, I am now fully converted. There is still only one small nick in the front sidewall from a sharp stone exposing just the puncture proof membrane and one tiny cut in the tread in the rear tyre from an evil flint which I dug out long before it punctured, they are otherwise totally unmarked. No questions over grip either. Given the consistent rain and mud and gravel strewn roads this is quite remarkable. 10/10 - I don't even notice the small loss in performance now.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

And I noticed that Cycling Plus magazine said in a recent test that if the Pro4 Endurance proved to have a reasonable lifespan they would consider it amongst the very best all-weather tyres. Can't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    After my earlier reticence, I am now fully converted... ... Given the consistent rain and mud and gravel strewn roads this is quite remarkable. 10/10 - I don't even notice the small loss in performance now.
    Ah - from your earlier assessment and other reviews I'd read I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Pro 4 SC. Now I'm thinking that the Pro 4 Endurance may be the best option.

It sounds as if the Pro 4 Endurance are bullet proof - have you any idea if they are that that much more robust than the Pro 4 SC? They seem to be slightly more expensive (less discount available?)

It sounds as if the Pro 4 Endurance are bullet proof - have you any idea if they are that that much more robust than the Pro 4 SC? They seem to be slightly more expensive (less discount available?)
    All I can say is I did another 3 hour ride yesterday on wet, muddy, gritty lanes and magically there is still hardly a mark. Past experience with Pro 3 and 4 SC (or any other performance tyre for that matter) is that I would be pulling flints out the tyres after each ride even if I hadn't actually punctured and I'm gaining so much faith in them that I'm not trying to avoid every patch of gravel 'just in case'. I would say that they are as bomb proof as anything with precious little performance loss so much so that I'm almost tempted to leave them on all year round!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Past experience with Pro 3 and 4 SC (or any other performance tyre for that matter) is that I would be pulling flints out the tyres after each ride even if I hadn't actually punctured...
    I did 64 miles yesterday with an old Pro 3 SC on the rear and a Vittoria on the front. lots of grit, stones, floods and mud. All running fine. A friend I ride with is running Pro 4 endurance so, as an experiment, I shall get the Pro 4 SC and compare wear etc with him... we mostly ride together so it will be an interesting comparison!

He, like you thinks that the Pro 4 endurance is an excellent tyre. Lots of the reviews rate the Pro 4 SC as more robust than the Pro 3 SC - so I'll give the 4s a try. If they fail/puncture often or in some other way disappoint then I'll switch to the endurance.

When I've completed a few miles I'll let you know how I'm getting on.

Lots of the reviews rate the Pro 4 SC as more robust than the Pro 3 SC - so I'll give the 4s a try.
    As said, I have been a Michelin user since the dawn of time and used every incarnation of their tyres. I do feel that each new model is an improvement on the previous one and I would agree with that statement plus they are also a bit more grippy. I've not had a penetration puncture with Pro 4 SC in over a year, just one from a cut sidewall and a pinch flat which was my own fault.

Another 66 miles yesterday with old vittoria and Pro 3. Ordering Pro 4 SC and will fit when I get back from skiing.

Thanks for your help

Pro 4 SC tyres fitted - rode 101 miles in variable conditions. Ice, Snow, Floods etc. Normal british winter lanes. One puncture - split in the side of the tyre and replacement tube (A heavy weight tough tube I carry as a spare) poking through for the remaining 60 plus miles of the ride! Guess I was unlucky but I might replace it with the Pro 4 Endurance. I guess that is the end of the comparative test. My cycling companion was on Pro 4 Endurance - no problems.

Pro 4 SC tyres fitted - rode 101 miles in variable conditions. Ice, Snow, Floods etc. Normal british winter lanes. One puncture - split in the side of the tyre and replacement tube (A heavy weight tough tube I carry as a spare) poking through for the remaining 60 plus miles of the ride! Guess I was unlucky but I might replace it with the Pro 4 Endurance. I guess that is the end of the comparative test. My cycling companion was on Pro 4 Endurance - no problems.
    As per my previous posts the only serious mark still on my Pro4 Endurance is a sidewall cut but it failed to go through the breaker strip, a similar cut with SC went down to the inner tube. Lesson to be learned from this apart from changing tyres: carry a tyre boot patch, they've saved the day on a couple of occasions for me in the past.