Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Taken the plunge on a pair of these in 25c for my commuter which get used on all sorts of roads/conditions.

Used Pro3 a while ago on my commutes but had 4 too many punctures (3 rear). Been using Vittoria Randonneurs which haven't punctured in a few thousand miles but they weigh for 1 not far off what the pair of P4Es will be and are a pretty horrible ride, but have served the purpose I wanted - no punctures
    Last edited by Bally; 13th March 2013 at 2:09 PM.

I guess with winter nearly over I can give the long term test report and can confirm all that I've already said: nearly 2 months since my last update and 6 months since they first went on, over 100 miles a week on average mainly on sh1tty, gritty, potholed lanes with no punctures, one sidewall cut that didn't perforate the breaker strip, no more than half a dozen superficial cuts in the tread between both tyres and virtually no signs of wear. I've long forgotten and dismissed the marginal loss of performance compared with the service course version, they have been a joy to ride and I will almost be reluctant to go back to my summer wheels with the Pro 4 SC tyres. Mind you when I do I will expect no less of those. They've coped with everything winter can throw at them and come out with flying colours - what more is there to say? They will be ready and waiting to go back on next winter for more sterling service.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    Taken the plunge on a pair of these in 25c for my commuter which get used on all sorts of roads/conditions.

Used Pro3 a while ago on my commutes but had 4 too many punctures (3 rear). Been using Vittoria Randonneurs which haven't punctured in a few thousand miles but they weigh for 1 not far off what the pair of P4Es will be and are a pretty horrible ride, but have served the purpose I wanted - no punctures
    I'm with you Bally, the Randonneur is the tyre from heaven if puncture protection is your main aim. But even they are not infallible; I had a front wheel flat recently from a monster thorn that somehow penetrated the sidewall. But it took all day to go down and I was able to finish my commute before tackling it in my warm, dry garage.

I've tried some of the so-called puncture resistant, lightweight tyres such as Gatorskins. They don't stand a chance on our roads and are shredded within a couple of months after picking up multiple flats.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread for a number of reasons. Firstly, I've been running the Pro 4 Endurance for the last two winters and also last Summer and can confirm it is a great all-round tyre. Robust for the Winter and gives just enough performance to make it an admirable all-rounder for the whole year.

Second reason for bringing this thread back from the dead is the announcement of the new Michelin Power range, no doubt these are on CBs radar already! Release date is 1st April, no news on pricing.

Finally, I've been starting to think about Summer tyres. Two Summers ago I ran the Schwalbe Ultremos, which were excellent, however when I came to re-fit them last Summer I discovered side wall cracks had appeared during Winter storage, seemingly where the two rubber compounds met or where the puncture protection strip meets the sidewall (can't quite work out which). I was advised not to risk them and therefore ended up running the Pro4 Endurance all last Summer. The Ultremos are still hung up in the garage and I'm wondering whether to give them another try. The carcass of the tyre is fine and the Internet consensus seems to be that these should be fine to run given there is no deformation to the tyre when they're on and inflated.

Thoughts on any of the above?
    Last edited by graywoodhouse; 27th March 2016 at 10:07 AM.

I have recently tried the Endurance and really like them. I plan to use them all year. I've got Michelin latex tubes under them.

Michelin are replacing them in the next few weeks with an improved version, which are supposed to be the dogs.

If your old tyres are cracked I would bin them. It is not a lot of money and it would be a lot of hassle if they failed while out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    Finally, I've been starting to think about Summer tyres. Two Summers ago I ran the Schwalbe Ultremos, which were excellent, however when I came to re-fit them last Summer I discovered side wall cracks had appeared during Winter storage, seemingly where the two rubber compounds met or where the puncture protection strip meets the sidewall (can't quite work out which). I was advised not to risk them and therefore ended up running the Pro4 Endurance all last Summer. The Ultremos are still hung up in the garage and I'm wondering whether to give them another try. The carcass of the tyre is fine and the Internet consensus seems to be that these should be fine to run given there is no deformation to the tyre when they're on and inflated.

Thoughts on any of the above?
    Mr Hoose,

About your cracked Ultremos.....

Since I have a number of Ultremo ZX on various wheels, I rushed to examine them minutely for signs of the cracking you mention. The oldest of my Ultremos have been about for some three years (front tyres, which wear very slowly). They've all done a lot of miles.

I find no sign at all of any cracks; or any other sign of degradation. This leads me to wonder about the cause of your Ultremo cracks. One hears non-explanations such as "aging", which beg the question: what are the physical/chemical processes that constitute "aging"; or "cracking"?

My suspicion is that the environment in which tyres spend their time is likely to contain the answer. I think we may have corresponded before about the effects of volatile chemical fumes from stored paints, fuels, anti-fungal liquids and the many other substances often kept in bike sheds. I mention my experience of chemically-melted rubber brake hoods on a bike stored in such a shed along with fuel for garden tools and several other volatile liquids.

In all events, your cracks may be just symptoms of a wider degradation of the rubber in your Ultremos. Such degradation may not be obvious, apart from the cracks; but all the exposed rubber may be degraded to an unsafe condition - more prone to split, shed itself from the underlying substrate, etcetera. Personally I'd bin them as the risk of them degrading catastrophically as you ride is unknown and the consequences potentially very nasty.

Lataxe the cautious

As above...ill bin them too
    and just for arguments sake...I change my tyres every 2 years....with the amount of pressure we pump these up to...I don't fancy having a blow out at any time!!

if your looking for a great all year round tyre...I use Vredestein FortezzaSenso Xtreme Weather

I've used these since June last year and have done around 2500miles in them so far and they are 23c.....I highly recommend them

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.258824)][/COLOR]

Had a michelin horror story, will eschew 'em from now on.

You are all right of course, for the sake of 50 I should bin the tyres, annoying to throw away tyres which have only seen 6 months use though.

That Sheldon Brown has some interesting views on when tyres should be replaced:
    Tyre Wear-When should you replace your tyres?

Many cyclists waste money replacing perfectly functional tyres simply because they're old, or may have discolored sidewalls. If you just want new tyres because the old ones look grotty, it's your money, but if you are mainly concerned with safety/function, there are only two reasons for replacing old tyres:
    1. When the tread is worn so thin that you start getting a lot of flats from small pieces of glass and the like, or the fabric shows through the rubber.
    2. When the tyre's fabric has been damaged, so that the tyre has a lumpy, irregular appearance somewhere, or the tube bulges through the tyre.

Cracks in the tread are harmless. Small punctures in the tyre such as are typically caused by nails, tacks, thorns or glass slivers are also harmless to the tyre, since the tyre doesn't need to be air-tight.

Still being a relative newb I'll use this as an opportunity to research some alternative Summer rubber. Thinking Pro4 Service Course, Continental GP4000 or the new Michelin Power when they're released (depending on price). Those Ultremos are sweet tyres though.

Lataxe is right, I have posted about this before, pics of cracked Ultremos here...

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yarp the new POWER comes out soon.

Means that the PRO4 SCV2 will now be even cheaper and a bargain.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia