Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm surprised how easy it is to ride. I can ride up the hill to my house without getting out of the seat. I'm getting out of the seat when starting off at intersections or lights as I prefer to not be too much slower than cars at those times. However, to get any decent commuting speed does mean my legs are pedalling at a reasonably high tick. Perhaps the gear ratio that's on it now will not be the gear ratio that's on it forever.

In hindsight I kinda it might have been better to go for something like this, but I've made my purchase and I'm not the kind of person to go back and overthink things.

One year in, and what must be hundreds of miles of riding, the bike is still going fine. Though, I've had many punctures and replaced some spokes. I've decided that the current gear ratio is pretty good, and have no intention to change it.

I've decided that the fixed side of the hub is not for me. Despite my above comments, the pedals are still fine. The white painted chain looks really ugly now I think the first bits to be replaced will be the wheels.

What's the minimum amount to buy some wheels for a fixie where the wheels are of decent quality? (I realise 'decent' is arguable, but a ballpark would help).

I would try for handbuilt for fixed wheels if you buy the parts and find a good wheel builder. You could be looking at 200 quid for a good set

It's interesting to look at this thread two years in. The bike looks a lot older than it is, but it has been heavily used for commuting, intercity trips, and triathlons. The wheels are still the originals, and the bits I'd most like to replace. But the advice I have been given (here and elsewhere) seems to be to spend 200 on a set or it's not worth doing. It still runs well and is used pretty much every day. The pedals look awful, sort of warped. But they work fine. I've had a couple of goes using the fixed wheel, but find that the freewheel just suits me better.

I read this thread with fascination. I have no idea of what a fixie is, and cannot comprehend a bike with one gear, I use all 20 of mine within 10 miles of my back door, from 20% climbs to 55kmh descents.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

Fixies are bikes invented by the French for the terribly fashionable. I do not recommend them unless you are an architect, student, or web designer with a suitably fashionable haircut and skinny jeans with trendy thick glasses.

Saw some very gnarly looking couriers on fixies yesterday in the City. No fashionistas in sight...
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Actually the origin of the 'fixie' is the track as track bikes are fixed gear. Then they became popular with couriers for simplicity and ease of maintenance. And then sadly they became a fashion item.

Quote Originally Posted by Passo Giau View Post
    Fixies are bikes invented by the French for the terribly fashionable. I do not recommend them unless you are an architect, student, or web designer with a suitably fashionable haircut and skinny jeans with trendy thick glasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Actually the origin of the 'fixie' is the track as track bikes are fixed gear. Then they became popular with couriers for simplicity and ease of maintenance. And then sadly they became a fashion item.
    The cynical answer from PG and the sensible one from Carla. I'm not sure which I prefer!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    The cynical answer from PG and the sensible one from Carla. I'm not sure which I prefer!
    Yes you do.

We all do.