Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A 'Fixie' is a cross between a Fairy and a Pixie. Ridden by them as well (or Americans {may also use Campy}). Real men (and women) ride fixed wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    A 'Fixie' is a cross between a Fairy and a Pixie. Ridden by them as well (or Americans {may also use Campy}). Real men (and women) ride fixed wheel.
    What a relief to find a fellow who knows the importance of keeping one's traditional argot concerning the description of the bicycle and all to do with it! I detest the creeping Americanisation of the language - "Campy, fender, slammed, weapon-of-choice" and all the other moronic words & phrases.

Of course, I yam from the North of England, like thee, so understand the need to keep the creeping homogeneity of our lovely language at bay - especially if the insurgent words & phrases are from that moronic cesspit of kultural klaptrap over the other side of The Atlantic.

Lataxe

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I did buy a cheap bike and know what to expect. But even then I'm disappointed with the quality of the pedals. I can't imagine the stock ones are going to last very long at all. Oh well, at least there's a well known solution for that when the pedals do fail.
    Pedals bent and scraped, but still usable three years and thousands of miles later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I read this thread with fascination. I have no idea of what a fixie is, and cannot comprehend a bike with one gear, I use all 20 of mine within 10 miles of my back door, from 20% climbs to 55kmh descents.
    I wouldn't want to ride a single speed if I lived somewhere like Scarborough. For the relatively flat East Midlands the single speed thing works well. IMHO, it's a good commuter. I've replaced the brakes for good Shimanos, and will replace the chain next. The brake handles died some time ago and were replaced, and the seat post had to be changed. Tyres and tubes changed many times of course. Other than that, it's stock and still running fine. However, it certainly looks several times its age.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 10th February 2016 at 11:46 PM.

I wouldn't want to ride a single speed if I lived somewhere like Scarborough. For the relatively flat East Midlands the single speed thing works well. IMHO, it's a good commuter. I've replaced the brakes for good Shimanos, and will replace the chain next. The brake handles died some time ago and were replaced, and the seat post had to be changed. Tyres and tubes changed many times of course. Other than that, it's stock and still running fine. However, it certainly looks several times its age.
    Thank you Mr. Twit, I certainly waited a long time for your response, (9 months to be exact) but glad to hear things are going well.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

better send to bike store

Quote Originally Posted by chrislee99777 View Post
    better send to bike store
    Why?

Bike now 4 years old. Still works fine, but the wheels particularly the rims look quite worn. I've changed the freewheel as the old one failed after three years. (I've since read that it's best to change freewheels on single speeds every year.)

Why?

Bike now 4 years old. Still works fine, but the wheels particularly the rims look quite worn. I've changed the freewheel as the old one failed after three years. (I've since read that it's best to change freewheels on single speeds every year.)
    The modern (post-modern, probably) mode is to keep the freewheel and change the bike. It is your duty to consume, after all.

Don't forget to acquire the several posing uniforms also. These must have the right labels. Any deviation will result in a period of incarceration in a lift with Jeremy Clarkson. (He can't do stairs).

Lataxe