Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting photos of cars being driven by knobheads

I've recently got a Garmin Virb Elite camera and although it is likely to be sent back for the standard version due to a couple of reasons, I've still been able to capture a number of instances of poor driving.

I plan to put some short clips on a CD or DVD and pop into the police station in the hope that they take some action but in the meantime, I've been wondering whether it would be legal if I were to post some of the clips and stills on Twitter in the hope of highlighting how some cwnts drive around cyclists. I'm aware that some people already do this but I'm not quite sure if doing such a thing could leave me open to a ticking off or maybe even prosecution.

Could someone shed some light on this please?

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Hey Nick.

The Police will only take action if the driving was far below the reasonable expected standard.

ie

They have to be a total di**head and near to Dangerous.

The Police wont prosecute you for taking photos or video of any incidents you capture, and in reality any one can make a complaint about anything they feel is unlawful or unjust, its just whether or not the Police will action this.

However - the other driver might sue you for Breach of his human rights under section 8 of the HRA.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Some of my students attended a road safety presentation recently. I spoke with the policeman who gave the presentation and asked if I provided footage taken while riding could be of use to them. He replied that it would be more useful to him as footage for his training videos rather than for prosecution but did say if any driving incidents were bad, the driver would be spoken to.

Police in most cases wont prosecute based on a 3rd parties footage. Remember celebs being pictured on the phone? None were prosecuted as a Policeman was not the witness.

Its scary how many people are on phones. I commute on a motorbike and when filtering you see it all, full make up bag on knee, reading the paper and phones. Literally in a queue of traffic youd be amazed how many people are on phones 1 in 3 isnt unusual.

I pulled along side a car to tell the driver a brake light was out just yesterday, I let the young lady know and said, "and please get off your phone before you kill me or someone else". Message received.
    Last edited by LekyUK; 25th May 2015 at 9:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    I've recently got a Garmin Virb Elite camera and although it is likely to be sent back for the standard version due to a couple of reasons, I've still been able to capture a number of instances of poor driving.

I plan to put some short clips on a CD or DVD and pop into the police station in the hope that they take some action but in the meantime, I've been wondering whether it would be legal if I were to post some of the clips and stills on Twitter in the hope of highlighting how some cwnts drive around cyclists. I'm aware that some people already do this but I'm not quite sure if doing such a thing could leave me open to a ticking off or maybe even prosecution.

Could someone shed some light on this please?
    Frankly, riding around with a camera makes you seem a vigilante in the eyes of the motorised Toads. If anything it will increase their ire against not just you but all cyclists, who may be "punished" with the Toad-mobile in some fashion.

To be even more frank, it's counterproductive for we cyclists to get on our high horses and rant on (especially through a car window) about how bad a driver they are and, by implication, how superior we are on our two wheels. This induces red-eyed rage, not improved behaviour.

Better to accept the reality of how people actually drive; the fact that as a society we're stupid enough to let them; and become very good at spotting Toads and anticipating/avoiding their many dangerous antics.

But don't worry - when I become dictator it'll all be different. Cars will be banned and all humans will be made to behave perfectly by means I'm only just now trying to devise. :-)

Lataxe

Just remember - the worst Dictator in history - invented a CAR. The VW Beatle.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

Nick,

i can can see how you'd like to put your camera to good use on the bike, and also commend you on your public spiritedness in reporting serious matters of poor driving to the Police and at the same time furnishing them with the photographic evidence. ( I take it you realise the consequence of your actions could require your attendance in court should your evidence be used in any subsequent hearing, even if only to exhibit the material ).
    However, can I ask what you would hope to achieve by posting the images on web sites? I only ask as I can see no good coming from this action, maybe I'm missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Just remember - the worst Dictator in history - invented a CAR. The VW Beatle.
    Never had Ferdinand Porche down as a dictator, still you live and learn :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Appleby 3 View Post
    Never had Ferdinand Porche down as a dictator, still you live and learn :-)
    It was HITLER actually that designed the Beatle as the Peoples car - hence the name. PEOPLE
    WAGON.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Pete is correct, hence true Porsche's also carry their engines at the back over the rear axle to this day.

Hitler and the Nazi's gave the order, but Hitler was no Engineer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle