Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Hitler was no Engineer.
    Correct. He also had other shortcomings.

Talking of knobheads, I saw a flash Bentley on Saturday parked on a cycle lane with the numberplate PNS 2. I wan't to know if this was some form of self-deprecation (after all I have a friend who lives in America and has the number plate WANKER), or he was Paul Nigel Smith and he was just a dick because he didn't realise what the acronym suggested!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by WIZZ View Post
    Nick,

i can can see how you'd like to put your camera to good use on the bike, and also commend you on your public spiritedness in reporting serious matters of poor driving to the Police and at the same time furnishing them with the photographic evidence. ( I take it you realise the consequence of your actions could require your attendance in court should your evidence be used in any subsequent hearing, even if only to exhibit the material ).
    However, can I ask what you would hope to achieve by posting the images on web sites? I only ask as I can see no good coming from this action, maybe I'm missing the point.
    My intention is to highlight bad driving in the hope that it will help some people re-evaluate how they drive in the presence of cyclists. I haven't posted any images anywhere online as yet as I appreciate that it will not have the desired effect but I have taken some footage to a local police station. I spoke to an officer who was on restricted duties which didn't sound too promising but he was a keen cyclist himself so we had a constructive chat. He showed quite a bit of interest in 2 clips and said that both drivers would be receiving a letter about their driving conduct. Quite a few of the other clips happened outside of the area which that station deals with so I do plan on going to the central police station at some point to raise my concerns about the other clips. Since then, I have managed to record quite a few other instances of poor driving. Some of which left me quite a bit shaken. I feel that every time I go out on my bike, my life is completely in someone else's hands.

I like to think I ride safely. I always wear a helmet, use lights/hi-viz clothing when needed, I don't weave in and out of traffic, mount the pavements etc but many cars pass me at incredible speeds with what feels like inches to spare and that isn't right. Then there's the twats who just pull out in front of me, try to intimidate me by driving alongside me, tailgating within a metre behind me and all the other idiots who I've managed to record using their phones whilst driving. The police officer asked what I would expect as an outcome of the videos and I accept that without actual contact, there's little chance of a prosecution but at the very least I would expect the police to contact many of these drivers to remind them of the law when passing cyclists. Maybe some drivers can't remember or simply do not consider cyclists as other road users so perhaps a little talking to would make them consider their actions the next time they pass a cyclist?
    Last edited by Nick1020; 4th June 2015 at 1:59 AM.

Nick,
    i understand where you are coming from and wish you well with your efforts.

Whilst I applaud anyone who's trying to raise driving standards, being devils advocate, is it possible that if you are obviously filming wrong doers and perhaps pointing it out to them, that drivers will respond more aggressively to you as a 'cycling vigilante'?

Personally I am a believer in keeping safe by riding defensively and keeping my head below the parapet. A confrontation with an angry driver is generally not going to end well for a cyclist.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Almost home yesterday and just negotiating a few side roads as quiet alternative to the jammed solid main Rd. I could hear a car revving just behind me over a couple of consecutive turns. When he gets his chance he overtakes and then immediately turns L into a driveway making me brake sharply. I said 'couldn't you wait ONE second' - reply 'You can just F*** Off'. Many drivers just hate cyclists....

I don't think it occurs to most drivers that cyclists hate to brake unnecessarily. Braking for me is actually a huge PITA if I am on one of my timed runs, as it takes me forever to get back up to speed, changing back up through the gears, and I have lost maybe 15 seconds, never mind the energy wasted.
    Last edited by Gasper; 5th June 2015 at 9:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Delaney View Post
    Many drivers just hate cyclists....
    I think it is just some impatient, arrogant oik exercising the only bit of power he has in his insignificant, pathetic life. It wouldn't matter if it was a horse, a slow driver or a pedestrian. You can't reason with people like that, all they understand is punch on the nose and sadly I'm too much of a weed to inflict it unless the red mist really descends.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Tbh, I don't think many people appreciate that a lot of road cyclists are capable of riding at speeds of between 20-30 mph on flats. They may glance to the side checking for traffic, only see a bike and they just don't really fathom that within a few seconds said bike could be smashing into the side of their vehicle. No doubt there's many drivers who get a lot of enjoyment out of pulling out directly in front of an approaching cyclist. Case in point; I was enjoying a ride to Chepstow the other day and was cycling towards Caldict. I clocked a black car arriving at a junction to join the road I was cycling on. The driver starts to move forward but then stops. I'm thinking great, she has seen me and will let me pass. It turns out there was a car approaching from the other direction on the road I was cycling. That driver then indicates to turn right onto the road where the black car is coming from. I'm not sure if the driver indicating flashed their lights to allow the black car to go but all of a sudden, the black car just pulls out directly in front of me. I was travelling at about 22-25 mph and had to slam my breaks on to narrowly avoid smashing into the side of the car. The woman behind the wheel was laughing her head off. This kind of scenario has happened a number of times. Sometimes the driver just seems oblivious to their actions but unfortunately other drivers seem to thrive on it.

I managed to catch a few of those instances of my Virb before I had to send it back due to a fault. The police officer I showed didn't show much interest in those kind of driving examples I'm afraid. There was another occasion when I was driving through Crick towards Newport on a speedy section of the road. I was comfortably doing 30 and a car pulls out of a junction and turns left extremely slowly ahead of me which was bad enough as I had to slam the breaks on and try to continue between her a the kerb as there was enough room. Then the daft bint takes an immediate left and nearly takes me out again. She was absolutely oblivious to my presence. Sadly, the police officer didn't think there was enough there to warrant any further action.

What I don't get about the mentality of some drivers is their apparent impatience at being stuck behind a cyclist. Some people seem to think that waiting a few seconds behind a cyclist is somehow going to slow their day down by a few hours. When in reality, if they just wait a few seconds until it's safe to pass, within a few more seconds, they would likely be where they were in the traffic that is ahead.

Thankfully many, many drivers out there are considerate. They will wait till it's safe to pass, they don't hang on my rear wheel trying to intimidate me, they don't pass within inches etc and tbh, I don't mind giving way when I can for these people. I cycle through a lot of lanes and other narrow roads and regularly pull over to allow vehicles to pass and usually get a friendly beep or well mannered "cheers/thanks" out of the window.

It does seem to be a minority, albeit a seemingly growing one, that is coming very close to ruining my road cycling experience and making me feel as if I have to be thankful to still be alive after some rides and being able to see the missus and kids again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Tbh, The woman behind the wheel was laughing her head off. This kind of scenario has happened a number of times. Sometimes the driver just seems oblivious to their actions but unfortunately other drivers seem to thrive on it.
    I think you must be trouble magnet like PG NIck. This sort of thing just never happens to me, at least not deliberately and I can usually predict what the idiots who aren't looking are going to do.