Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I too have been quite lucky in this regard. I occasionally ride over a narrow bridge controlled by traffic lights. I'm sensible and will generally allow one or two cars to pass me before the road narrows and I take the lane, sorry, but if you're behind me you'll be delayed for 20 to 30 seconds, if I let everyone pass I'll never get over the bridge! I've had a few toots of displeasure on occasion. Also had a car overtake another car coming towards me, was quite close and to this day I have no idea whether he even saw me. Cut up by a white van as I approached a roundabout when we were both going right. Had to shout a warning to a car about to pull out of a side road in front of me, he was looking the other way and thankfully it was a warm day and he had his window open, he looked quite surprised to see me!

By far the worst piece of 'driving' I've seen was a car deliberately driven (at slow speed) into a cyclists rear wheel, I was driving directly behind. The two had pulled out of a side road in front of me so I've no idea what had gone on before. First the car blocked him in at the left side of the road, the cyclist pulled out to go round him on the right and the guy DROVE INTO HIM! A heated discussion ensued and I thought I was going to have to get out to 'assist' at some point (the car driver was massive s I wasn't keen). The car drove off, I stopped and checked if the cyclist was OK, I'd got the car's reg number but it would have been our word against his. More of my friends and colleagues are getting dash cams for their cars, if I'd had one we'd have been able to go after him.

I have to say that since taking up cycling two years ago my own attitude to cyclists on the road has 'softened' shall we say.

Can't we all just be careful and get along

Cyclists are quite polarising.

I took a taxi the other night from a local firm we use a lot. "Ah, you're a cyclist aren't you?" said the lady driver, before spending the rest of the journey lecturing me about signs that were left up after sportives, how it was a total outrage and who should she complain to. Most odd.
    Last edited by PRSboy; 5th June 2015 at 2:15 PM.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    I'd got the car's reg number but it would have been our word against his.
    No it wouldn't, you were an independent witness, you had him banged to rights.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I have to say that since taking up cycling two years ago my own attitude to cyclists on the road has 'softened' shall we say.
    Which is why it would be nice if everyone taking driving lessons also had to spend some time on a bike. (conversely it would be good if all cyclists were made to sit in an HGV and see the blindspots).

Can't we all just be careful and get along
    I often think that - it just needs everybody to be a bit more forgiving of everyone else but sadly it's never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    - it just needs everybody to be a bit more forgiving of everyone else but sadly it's never going to happen.
    Carla,

This is the essence of the issue. Human nature cannot be transformed so that every person has only the nice parts and the nasty stuff is somehow expunged. All of us, pressed by the circumstances of our nature, nurture and current difficulties are capable of becoming nutters, even if temporarily.

This being so, any solution to the death and damage caused by intemperate car driving can only hope to succeed by dealing with the factor that can be transformed. In this case, that factor is the car itself. It is the car itself that is the amplifier of bad human behaviour that turns a mere scuffle into a lethal or maiming process.

There's a direct and close analogy to the gun. It too amplifies bad human behaviour in terms of the outcomes of those scuffles. We were wise to ban hand guns, as the US has not been wise to do so. Only in nations with a less savage and hard-pressed citizenry can such things as cars and guns be safely allowed to all & sundry. Some nations are a lot more civilised than others.

Since we have an established tradition of allowing any idiot to drive a car, along with a shrug-shoulder attitude to the damage they cause, it's very unlikely that heavier laws or policing would have any effect other than to outrage the millions of Toads and their pressure groups. British drivers are always going to contain a large proportion of self-centred little skinbags with little thought for others, no matter how many rozzers get on their tails.

Therefore, I look forward to the advent of driverless cars. We are crap at driving, most of us, so this is one new technology that I won't be getting Luddite about .... especially if the cars are also electric and don't kill or damage another swathe of the population with their nasty gases.

Lataxe the futurist.

This pretty much sums it up.

CGv7YkYXEAEnjR_.jpg

Went to my son's football presentation event earlier and on the way we crossed at some lights. These particular lights change almost immediately after pressing the button. I noticed a cyclist approaching at a slow speed (probably no more than 10 mph). He was on the pavement when I first noticed him, then he went on the road about 30-40 metres from the lights. I just knew he was gonna ride through the lights and as he did I told him that it was a red light. The response I got was "I know but I'm clipped in". I replied "So what?! I unclip a foot and put it on the floor when I need to stop".

I would've gladly cut him some slack if he was approaching at speed but he wasn't.

It kinda makes it harder to make a point about bad driving habits when some cyclists insist on doing things like that.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    should have put your straight arm out and took him off - pretending to point something out to your son.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    should have put your straight arm out and took him off - pretending to point something out to your son.
    What a naughty remark from a rozzer! One hopes this is not your attitude at work. I may have to examine the steps down to the cells in your nick for tripwires.

Your recommendation does recall that infamous remark made to The Beak as the rozzer brings up Joe the burglar from the cells.

"What are those bruises and black eyes on that alleged burglar?" asks the Beak.

"The lad was restless, yer 'onour, and I could not stop him bangin' 'is 'ead an me boot", replies the rozzer.

Lataxe

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    I noticed a cyclist approaching at a slow speed (probably no more than 10 mph). He was on the pavement when I first noticed him, then he went on the road about 30-40 metres from the lights. I just knew he was gonna ride through the lights
    I had a similar experience yesterday only this joker had overtaken me in jeans and trainers on flat pedals on a mountain bike. I did for a second think that when I caught him I was going to say, 'get a proper bike and kit mate and you'll be a good cyclist', when he just died so it was obvious he was only going a short way and that was his only move. So I passed him easily just before some lights changed to red. I stopped as it was frankly dangerous to continue but he just rode straight though. I passed him again before the next set of lights already on red and was slowing assuming they would soon change when he jumped onto the pavement and was about to ride across the pedestrian crossing when the lights changed and I was away. I didn't see him again.

Before anyone says anything, I know my attitude to red lights may be a bit cavalier but I apply common sense, this idiot was just reckless.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.