Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    CB don't forget you can take risks we mortals can't.
    I fear that is extreme sarcasm but I believe that there is a modicum of truth in it. I have long suspected that my self confidence, spatial awareness, fine motor control, anticipation, rapid decision making/risk assessment ability and reaction times are superior to those of lesser mortals so what seems difficult/risky is normalised to me and what is a close call to others is a perfectly timed move. Of course there are those who will no doubt say this part of my vanity and disagree...cue Laxative.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Strange attitude to cycling PRS. Have you spent too much time on the turbo this winter?
    I am purely a leisure cyclist... I would ride to work when I don't have to drop the kids as school, but we have no shower facilities- not an option as very hilly so would work up a sweat!

Agreed my charter is not practical for a commuting cyclist. As said, I was simply trying to minimise risks as a rider for those cyclists who do worry. Many of the same recommendations would apply as a driver.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Fair enough PRS, some of your points were good. However I'd just like to make the point that you can cycle 365 days a year, you just need to take reasonable precautions. There is no need to avoid night riding or winter riding. It's all about getting the balance right and being sensible not over cautious.

I suspect another issue is reporting bias... many more drivers and pedestrians are killed and injured than cyclists, but the cycling sites and to an extent the national news we read inevitably only report the cycling related ones, making it seem more dangerous... a bit like when there is a cluster of plane crashes as there was last year and people worry disproportionately about flying!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I suspect another issue is reporting bias... many more drivers and pedestrians are killed and injured than cyclists,
    It is because there are many more pedestrians and motorists. Unless they are high profile stories like: 'Old lady dies after being knocked down on crossing' don't make the headlines. Equally most cycling accidents are not reported, but because of the current high level of awareness someone getting crushed by an HGV turning left across a Boris cycle lane does.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Another example of cr4p driving... I saw this morning a woman barge past a fast moving cyclist in a 30 limit approaching a red light, pull in across him into a left filter lane, nearly left-hooking him, and then immediately have to stop in a queue.

He was a good deal more tolerant than I would have been!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Another example of cr4p driving... I saw this morning a woman barge past a fast moving cyclist in a 30 limit approaching a red light, pull in across him into a left filter lane, nearly left-hooking him, and then immediately have to stop in a queue.

He was a good deal more tolerant than I would have been!
    Happens to me every morning, this morning included) - if I allowed it; only substitute stopping at lights for stopping for parked vehicles for oncoming traffic because doesn't know width of own car to proceed through the gap which is big enough for a bus. But because I know its going to happen, I hog the centre of the road to stop them but even that doesn't sometimes work as they veer dangerously onto the other side of the road then I just overtake them when they've stopped and we go through Ground Hog Day. For some reason this seems to make then cross.