Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Tour of Cambs - Gran Fondo

Almost upon us, very excited! Any of you guys doing it?

Still places left on the GF, but not the TT:

http://www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/...Gran_Fondo.php

Sadly no time this w/e, but looks like a cracking event- enjoy!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Thanks PRS, can always trust on you to not leave a man hanging.

Looking forward to this immensely.

So, how did it go? Did you get in with a good group?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Enjoyed that. The mass start was a bit of an issue but the route, organisation and the cheering public were great.

It was the best 4 hours I ever spent on a bike. As Nobby says, the mass start was manic. Luckily I got myself to within the front 500 or so out of 6,700 riders.

Hit my highest ever HR (183bpm) within minutes of setting off, not used to going out at 22-27mph and the adrenalin I suppose. Just didnt know how long I could sustain Zone 4 and 5, it wasn't until half distance that I got my body under control and settled into the groove. Lost both my mates, one up front and one behind. Cruising along in massive trains was absolutely amazing.

Add the thousands of spectators with bells, horns, cheers and 'High-5s' it was truly a day to remember. There were sadly some serious accidents, but I didn't see any of these. The wind was pretty horrific at times as we were so exposed.

I have not got my official time yet, it is touch and go as to whether or not I qualified in the top 25% of my age bracket. Garmin reads a non-stop time of 3h 49m 28s for the complete 83mile segment on Strava. The Gold time classification was 3h 58m so pleased with that. Need to await the official result, my mate that finished almost 10mins before me, did classify for the age bracket above mine.

The male winner did 3h 12m, the lady (from Cambridge Cycling Club) did a 3h 14m. Was satisfying passing people with the race bands on that had got to start from the racing pen.

A few pics here to give some idea of scale:

http://www.sportograf.com/en/shop/reminder/3073#event

Such a great day, I am still buzzing! My first ever cycling event, leaves me wanting more! Then Brad got the Hour and Lewis won the GP, I went to bed a happy man.
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 8th June 2015 at 12:45 PM.

Sounds fantastic! So, if you finished in the top 25% don't you qualify for the amateur world champs?

Results are now out - links from main fondo page HERE.

You'll have to do a bit of searching to find out how many were in your age group but it's doable.

Good work Marty Wild!!
    I was all set for it but chickened out in the end. I was going to get myself gridded but if not been able to get out and do any real training for it, so bottled it.

Sounds like you had a good day out. Did you get in to the top 25%? If you did reckon you'll give the Am wc in Denmark a go?

Thanks Gents! I have the results now and have pulled the data into Excel is anyone wants it emailed. That said, I have not been able to work out if I made the top 25%, depends if it's on 'Race Time' or 'Chip Time' or finishing position. On position I have defenitely made it, on the times, it is seriously touch and go. The organisers have made a statement that all the data has to go to UCI so it will take a few weeks to get a definitive answer as to wether or not I qualified.

@ Dan - Shame you didn't make it, it was immense. I was woefully under-prepared for it too. For some reason, this year until the event, my longest ride had only been a pitiful 63 miles. As for Denmark, I really don't know, my main aim was always to get the Gold classification of 3h 58m. Will have to wait and see I guess.