Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I only found out about the GPX search after I had ordered the 'Foto-flat' bundle. Luckily it appears they didnt miss anything, another friend however, found an excellent picture on the bridge they they hadn't included. I went JPEG as well, pleased with them all, nice touch with the 33 freebies too!

Was it literally only you and I from the board that went along?!

Looks like it.

I know a few elsewhere that didn't bother more because they weren't sure what to expect than anything else. With a bit of luck, it'll be on again next year & the positive response it's had will get even more along.

Hopefully it will also give other regions an idea or two in how to organise more of them - a national series of Grand Fondos would be a huge leap forward for the sport.

Mind you, closed roads seemed to confuse a fair few who seemed intent on staying to the left, sometimes to the point of squeezing between other riders or cutting in despite the fact the right hand half of the road was completely empty. I had a word with one who just got too damn close & it took a while for him to realise that perhaps I was correct in suggesting he could use the 12' of tarmac to his right.

I will defo be up for it next year (as long as it doesn't clash with a local annual event that I go to)- Team RCUK??

It would be great to go on a proper closed road Gran Fondo type event. All the rage on the continent, seem to trickier here with all the NIMBYs moaning about not being able to get to the dump or B&Q on a sunday.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Good luck with making the top 25%!
    I'm kicking myself really, should of done it. My kind of course aswell. Too many 🍺🍺's is my problem!
    Would of been a good intro to racing..
    Next year for sure!

Would have loved to have done this. I recall nobby suggesting the Gran Fondo as I didn't make the ballot for the London-Surrey. The only thing that held me back was the distance to the event but I wished I had manned up and taken the plunge. As it turned out, I know someone who went in a professional capacity and they're friends with the winner who rides at a club a couple of miles away.

Next year definitely.

Team RCUK FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I will defo be up for it next year (as long as it doesn't clash with a local annual event that I go to)- Team RCUK??

It would be great to go on a proper closed road Gran Fondo type event. All the rage on the continent, seem to trickier here with all the NIMBYs moaning about not being able to get to the dump or B&Q on a sunday.
    I just can't understand the hostility the Velothon seems to be gathering around here.

The missus showed me some posts on Facebook where some users where threatening to put tacks on the course and spray cyclists with cold water as they pass?!?

It's just a few hours of disruption whilst other people strive to raise money for good causes as well as aid their own fitness or just enjoy a ride with like-minded people.

The crowds along the route were fantastic but the sad, NIMBY, keyboard warriors have been mouthing off on FB etc from the safety of their 'pooters.

Race organisers have asked anyone who supports it to send a few words to those who allowed it to be run in the local authority etc.

The majority of villages and residents along the route overwhelmingly support us as was visible by the amount who came out to cheer you all on and we cannot thank them enough for adding to the atmosphere of the ride. If you enjoyed your experience on these closed roads we would really appreciate it if you could take the time to communicate a short positive message to any of these local stakeholders listed below. If you think you'll be back and if you feel it worthwhile please also provide thanks specifically for Cambridgeshire's commitment to Road Closure.District councils
    info@fenland.gov.uk
    mail@huntingdonshire.gov.uk

Local county councils
    CCC leader Steve.Count@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

Local MPs that cover the district
    stephen.barclay.mp@parliament.uk covers all Fenland

shailesh.vara.mp@parliament.uk Huntingdon area.

Just don't get it- marathons and half marathons seem to pass without mention with road closures etc. Put a bike into the mix and kaboom out come the NIMBYs.

I have some sympathy with the folk of Surrey as hardly a week goes by that I can see without a sportive passing through, but I would have thought other areas would welcome the opportunity to showcase their area and bring in.

Mind you, there was a local incident involving a driver getting uppity and blowing their horn at a Remembrance Day parade because the road was shut. You couldn't make it up...
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Mind you, there was a local incident involving a driver getting uppity and blowing their horn at a Remembrance Day parade because the road was shut. You couldn't make it up...
    Dosn't surprise me. Some plonker always manages to drive through our remembrance Sunday service at the village war memorial during the 2 minute silence, even with people stood all over the road.

Unbelievable.
    "I am not Colin"

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tungate View Post
    Too many 's is my problem!!
    Too many whats is that? Thanks though Dan! Will wait a few weeks and see what the score is. It has definitely wetted my whistle for some more event riding. Going to join my local CCC and go from there. The guy that sold me my first road bike used to race around here, so has given me some advice on how to get into it, whether or not I can hack the pace is another question entirely.

@ Nick1020 - You down near/in Whales then?

@ PRS - Would be cool to get more of the board along to next years, if there is one, it will obviously be even busier next year.

As for the haters complaining or going to extremes of tacs or twine traps, really just can't understand these people. Proper pond life, with so little in their lives. Sad really!

Anyways, I emailed the local government people as advised by the organisers. Got this very positive response from one of them in seconds...

Dear Martin

I have just opened my inbox and discovered there are already over a 100 emails expressing thanks for helping the Grand Fondo come to Cambridgeshire. I really must take the time to thank you for expressing your feelings as I am much more used to hearing complaints, rather than compliments and the messages pouring in have made my day. I will pass on your thanks to all concerned and look forward to welcoming the event back again next year.

Regards Steve