Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

New to cycling and forum.

Hi everyone.
    I am new here and heve joined up to get lots of info and help.
    Yesterday i bought my first road bike and am looking forward to getting out on it today for the first time. It is a Claud Butler SR1, not the best out there but for what i want to do on it and the super deal I got I am sure it will do to see if i like it before i send a bit more.
    Need to do some more reserch on gear now, really a top to wear, not to tight and would like a couple of pockets on the back.
    A sadle bag and what to keep in it and a couple of other things.
    I hope to gain lots of info from your forum and all on it.
    So off I go to have a look round.

Welcome! Enjoy getting into this fine sport.

The big online retailers like Wiggle offer excellent prices, but there is lots to be said for popping into the local shop and getting advice and trying different things on.

Saddle bag should contain an inner tube, 2 levers, multitool, sticky tyre patches, 10 for an impromptu coffee/cake. For tyre reflation you may prefer C02 canisters, or a small pump on the bike or in the back pocket.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Cheers mate, just in the past couple of hours on here I am glad I joined. Found out a lot of info already using the search function. I am sure some daft questions will follow at some piont.
    Better spend some money then and get a saddle bag organized before I go to far from home on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by R53mini View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I am new here and heve joined up to get lots of info and help.
    Yesterday i bought my first road bike and am looking forward to getting out on it today for the first time. It is a Claud Butler SR1, not the best out there but for what i want to do on it and the super deal I got I am sure it will do to see if i like it before i send a bit more.
    Need to do some more reserch on gear now, really a top to wear, not to tight and would like a couple of pockets on the back.
    A sadle bag and what to keep in it and a couple of other things.
    I hope to gain lots of info from your forum and all on it.
    So off I go to have a look round.
    Welcome mini-me and full marks for not coming on here with a whole list of what this?, what that? questions. A lot of people seem to have lost the ability to look around and do some research and expect the internet or forums like this to give them all the answers instantly. Amazing how I got by on my own wits all those years ago without computers. Yes I know its hard to believe that I was born long before electronic calculators or digital watches let alone computers.

It doesn't matter how good your bike is the important thing is to get out and enjoy it, I would be pretty confident in saying it is 10X better than anything I had when I started and I rode the length and breadth of the country.

So before this becomes at risk of being a reprise of the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch I would add to the immediate must-have list if you don't already have them: a decent pair of padded cycling shorts, padded mitts and cycling shoes with SPD pedals (presume you have a helmet).
    Last edited by coolboarder; 29th June 2015 at 3:48 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Hi coolboarder, I have just been looking at your profile funny enough. Because as i searched someone recomnded your fitting guide so just had a read, very handy indeed.
    Yes, have helmet, yes have shorts but i went for the shorts with vest built in. So after a top that can go over those. I will put padded mits on the list mate, and before I read your post I was using the search function to read up about shoes with SPD peddals, trying to find out the bennifits ect to having these. I dont want to spend hundreds of pounds but dont mind spending a bit of money, i would reather spend well and get it right first time than buy rubbish and have to buy twice.

+1 on the SPD pedal/cleat combo (you can walk easier in the shoes). Have a look at Shimano's touring pedals on Wiggle.

For a decent pair of comfy shoes at a good price I'd recommend Shimano R088's (they have a wide-fitting option) about 50.

Good that you got bibshorts instead of shorts - far more comfy.

Good luck and enjoy!

Don't get a black jersey - unless you have some sort of death wish or ride for Sky....

Quote Originally Posted by R53mini View Post
    I have just been looking at your profile funny enough. Because as i searched someone recomnded your fitting guide so just had a read, very handy indeed.
    Bloody hell mini-me how did you find that? I know I joked about being a Luddite but I thought I was reasonably computer-literate and I can't find it.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I did post a link to where I found it mate, but still not been ok'd by a mod.
    Been out on my new bike now, first ride was just over 6 miles, and yesterday done 10 miles.
    Really did enjoy it and now looking for some SPD shoes and peddals because i am thinking the sooner i get these and get on with it the better.
    Lets hope I sell some of my stuff on ebay to pay for them,
    I am thinking 100 should do it.

I am a Newb too and doing a little more mileage than yourself. Congrats on getting in to it, it is a great way (for me) to get fitter. I am in Leicestershire and have some excellent rides, both road and off-road locally.

Good luck with the cleats, that is my next foray!