Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R53mini View Post
    Well first time I have used Strava and first time I have done over 15 miles.
    15.2 miles 1 hour 6 min and 782 ft elevation gain.
    So I hope that's not to bad.
    My 13.8 mile circuit is 940 ft elevation gain and I also do it in 1 hr and 6 minutes, so that sounds pretty good to me. You can shave lots of time off by wearing the right gear, and adopting a more aero position on the bike. Also learning the circuit helps, so you can descend quicker and cope with junctions without slowing too much. Also wind makes a difference.

First time round that circuit, and can't wait to see how I do with SPD on?
    That should be fun when they get delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by R53mini View Post
    First time round that circuit, and can't wait to see how I do with SPD on?
    That should be fun when they get delivered.
    To be honest, SPD-SL pedals did not make an instant difference to my times, which was disappointing. What they do is to enable you to pull up when you need more power, and they keep your feet in the right position. The single biggest time saving was getting rid of the baggy coats, shirts and trousers, and putting on proper cycling gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    To be honest, SPD-SL pedals did not make an instant difference to my times, which was disappointing. What they do is to enable you to pull up when you need more power, and they keep your feet in the right position. The single biggest time saving was getting rid of the baggy coats, shirts and trousers, and putting on proper cycling gear.
    Its amazing the difference that better fitting and more 'aero' clothes make- I see an instant 1-2 kmh plus boost to my average the day the winter tights and jacket come off.

Its worth spending a bit of time reading up and working on good pedalling technique, makes a big difference.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Its amazing the difference that better fitting and more 'aero' clothes make- I see an instant 1-2 kmh plus boost to my average the day the winter tights and jacket come off.
    It is, and it makes you never want to push round an ounce more air than you have to. Of course the daft wind we are having just now doesn't help, I'll swear I had a head wind the entire way round my 15m circuit yesterday, north south east and west. Only once was there a "proper" tail wind.

I have got 1 set of gear but just got a PM from a member on here with a great offer I have said yes to, well happy.
    been reading up about the how to pedal, not sure if I will ever get how to push down with 1 leg and pull up with the other, and do the drag at the bottom. But I am going to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I'll swear I had a head wind the entire way round my 15m circuit yesterday, north south east and west. Only once was there a "proper" tail wind.
    This has been happening a lot lately, it defies the laws of physics. There are some roads I ride on where I always seem to have a headwind whichever direction I ride but equally there is one, oddly past Clivedon House near Maidenhead, where I always have a tailwind. Weird. I think there is some sort of some sort of micro-climate due to the Thames valley at that point. or a government conspiracy, or El Nino, or global warming, or the jet stream or just our imagination.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I reckon it's Nigel Farage's fault.

Remember him?

What also happens, like my route today, started in the same place I finished at, so a big loop but only seem to go up hill?
    How does that work?

That would be the Penrose effect...

PenroseStairway_700.gif