Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Squirt

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    That has only ever happened to me when the chain has got wet and I've not dried it and re-applied within a short time.
    I've found this easy to fall foul of in the winter. A few rides with a bit of drizzle and wet roads can have the same effect as a full on wet ride. Some times I've been a bit lazy and not picked up on this and so ended up with a rusty chain.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmarl View Post
    I've found this easy to fall foul of in the winter. A few rides with a bit of drizzle and wet roads can have the same effect as a full on wet ride. Some times I've been a bit lazy and not picked up on this and so ended up with a rusty chain.
    It happened to me before Christmas on just a wet road ride with little rain. My priority was to get indoors, have a shower and warm up and forgot about the chain until the next day. Problem is it is a KMC gold chain so it was difficult to tell what was rust and what was the colour of the chain! The sprockets on the cassette went a bit rusty as well. I suspect that there is still enough lube left in the pivots so they don't rust so it is only superficial and it all sorts itself out after a quick lube and a short ride.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Hmm. It seems Squirt should really be treated as a dry lube, not suitable for wet weather use.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Hmm. It seems Squirt should really be treated as a dry lube, not suitable for wet weather use.
    Absolutely, it's pretty useless in the wet as just washes off. Dry use only, hence that's why I use it!
    All the gear and no idea.

You just have to accept that you have to reapply after wet weather or wet roads. I think that the benefits of a much cleaner drive train are worth the effort.

I see Squirt is right up there in the ratings for efficiency. And having used it for a while, I still favour the team sky oil.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmarl View Post
    You just have to accept that you have to reapply after wet weather or wet roads. I think that the benefits of a much cleaner drive train are worth the effort.
    Agree wholeheartedly - besides it's a lot quicker to dry the chain and reapply Squirt after wet weather a few times than clean a chain that's had other lube used. But I have also ended up with a rusty chain when I've been more concerned with getting into the warm and dry. As CB says, it's usually just superficial, wire brush and relube sorts it out.

But at which point it it being washed off? Does that not mean that on a long wet ride your drivetrain is being ground away with a wet gritty paste, just when it needs a lube most?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

But at which point it it being washed off? Does that not mean that on a long wet ride your drivetrain is being ground away with a wet gritty paste, just when it needs a lube most?
    There'll always be some lube inside the rollers.
    I've come back off very wet/gritty MTB rides with a chain that looks rusty but it's just surface rust and the rollers are fine!

Makes sense... In some ways, a less lubed chain is probably less likely to damage itself vs an over-lubed one which traps dirt on it.