Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirt

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    Out of interest does anyone do lots of miles in winter using squirt? Being a fair weather rider Iv often wondered how it performs.

I've wondered the same thing. Cue someone piping in that if it gets washed out then water is a lubricant too.
    I'd like to know it gets on on the days of mixed winter wet n dry that canes most lubes. If it's a semi wax lube? Won't it wash out quicker? Also what happens if it does wash out then your chain gets caked in mud n crap? You don't just re-squirt without cleaning??

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    How about just buying a new chain and swerving deep deep cleans.

Only my Hybrid sees the real nasty roads. I plan to just replace the entire drive train come the settled weather. Cheap as chips...

That said, a mate brought his Park Tools chain cleaning contraption and did my hybrid and old road bike with it. We didn't have access to a hose to rinse the chains so poured buckets over them. All seemed well until I went to reapply the lube, it became obvious the degreasing agent hasn't been fully removed...

So mixed results from my first experience of chain cleaning toys.

I used my Park tool contraption, which took a while as I kept changing out the degreaser until it ran clear. I then cleaned with a paint brush to get in all the nooks and crannies. I then dried everything thoroughly with a number of microfibre cloths and a dry paint brush. I left it all to dry naturally as well for an hour. I then checked it again and went over it with another dry cloth and then applied Squirt as directed. Checked it this morning and all seems fine.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Yeah Dave, that sounds a bit more like it! Good work!

I've never had much luck with chain cleaning tools. They do a 'half decent' job but for that other half, I've found there's no better way than doing it by hand. Morgan Blue chain cleaner is phenomenal stuff. I can either brush it on whilst the chain is on the bike or remove the chain and let it soak in the stuff then brush/wipe for a perfect clean.

I've just bought some Morgan Blue Syn Lube too which I hope to try next week. It seems to have a decent reputation so will be interesting to see how I get on with it.

I'm not entirely sold on Squirt if I'm honest. I don't get how some people say you'll never have to wash the chain again as I've found the chain to still pick up muck (and more recently rust) and I end up giving it a clean, degrease and regrease. When I apply it, it's always to a clean, dry chain and I give every link a good coating, allow to dry for a while, then apply again and leave overnight before going for a ride.

The wax dries so doesn't attract dirt and wears off/falls off - hence no dirty bits. You may be putting too much on if it's getting dirty - give it time and it'll lose the dirt.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    Hand on heart iv never had to give the chain a proper clean since I started using squirt.

The nearest I come is a quick run through a rag before re-applying and I'm told if I leave it longer the small amount of black stuff I'm cleaning off will fall off on its own accord.

Great stuff, still dialing in this years bike and haven't got round to applying any squirt yet. I can't get over how much grit, oil picks up.

Also cleans off the carpet well with some primus fuel, which really saved my bacon.
    Last edited by Avoid Paris; 7th March 2016 at 6:42 PM.

i found squirt not good in winter, needing daily replenishment. muc offs range is worth a look imo, good stuff that is stickier than squirt but also does not attract dirt. i have a couple of their wax formulas. i do use squirt throughout the spring and summer. it is cheap and good in dry/ occassional shower conditions. i buy a big bottle and it lasts years. muc off and all the others are expensive by comparison. planet x do boeshield which i will try in the winter when my muc off runs out.