Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirt

I am using Muc-off wet on the Boardman flat bar for trail riding and it does seem pretty good so far. It is very sticky but the grit and gunge washes straight off. The only bad reviews I have seen relate to getting the wet stuff off when switching to dry or wax, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
    I am only using the Squirt on the road bike, which will hopefully be un-clamped from the Turbo very shortly......

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    The wax dries so doesn't attract dirt and wears off/falls off - hence no dirty bits. You may be putting too much on if it's getting dirty - give it time and it'll lose the dirt.
    It's probably me being impatient.

I cleaned my bike earlier and gave the chain a good cleaning. Have just applied some Squirt. Will reapply if needed before I go to bed and see how it goes next week.

I've been using squirt for a while and although the chain on the summer bike rarely needs any cleaning, it certainly doesn't work as well in the winter - doesn't take much rain to rinse it off, so needs regular application and still find I need to clean the chain a few times. Still the best lubricant I've used though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
    I've been using squirt for a while and although the chain on the summer bike rarely needs any cleaning, it certainly doesn't work as well in the winter - doesn't take much rain to rinse it off, so needs regular application and still find I need to clean the chain a few times. Still the best lubricant I've used though.
    Yes, this fits in with my experience of Squirt.

I'm just doing a deep clean on the summer bike - sprockets and chain rings definitely needed a clean, tiny bits of black clag on them. Nowhere near as bad as it used to be in the pre-Squirt days, but I don't buy into the idea that things never need cleaning again.

I have just bought some to give it a try on one of my bikes. I gave the chain a good clean in the ultrasonic bath yesterday and it is all shiny.

So I guess the idea is that you just put a bit more on and don't have to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    I have just bought some to give it a try on one of my bikes. I gave the chain a good clean in the ultrasonic bath yesterday and it is all shiny.

So I guess the idea is that you just put a bit more on and don't have to clean.
    I run my chain through a cloth, just to get any residue off and then re-apply. I also take off any excess after application. It really doesn't need a lot, so sparingly is best.
    The great thing is because it is water based you can wash it off if you need to, just with soapy water and a brush.....
    You will be amazed how quiet your drive becomes....

The only prob with the wax lube is when riding in the rain....it just doesn't last .
    i changed last year to the new muc off sky lube
    a cross between wet and dry lube....it's pretty good stuff
    but winter riding needs to be wet lube IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    The only prob with the wax lube is when riding in the rain....it just doesn't last .
    i changed last year to the new muc off sky lube
    a cross between wet and dry lube....it's pretty good stuff
    but winter riding needs to be wet lube IMO
    I shall run my winter bike with wet lube. And mudguards.

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    I shall run my winter bike with wet lube. And mudguards.
    Very wise!

It has taken me a while to realise that I don't want a chain lube that obviates the need to take it off and clean-lube it periodically. Like washing the dishes in a sink, it's therapeutic. Life without toil - no good really, especially if you don't like the flavour of lotus or wearing filmy white garments.

Lataxe, always happy playing in the dirt.

Just resurrected this one for all you Squirters out there.

I have just purchased a new chain and thought about using it as a start point for Squirt.

But, obviously the chain comes ever so slightly lubed. Would it be recommended to degrease even from packet new before applying Squirt?