Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RideLondon '16

RideLondon '16

Who is doing it and what time are you starting?

I'm off at 8.13.

Hotel the night before all sorted. Car park near the finish booked. Final big ride (82mile sportive) sorted for this weekend. Haven't fallen off and broken anything this year. Bike having a service this week.

Good to go, I think.

Envious! Did it last year and it was a fantastic experience [apart from the slow-motion crash I had coming in to Kingston!]

Enjoy it!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I didn't get a place this year... 2015 was my first time and it awesome! I am down that way that weekend so will probs find myself taking in the Surrey Hills, see ya there!

0731 start for me. Won a place in a competition complete with VIP loading alongside the various Z listers such as X Factors own Sam Bailey.

Hotel booked in Barking and will have my car parked at our office near Waterloo for the finish (after more hobnobbing at a VIP reception thing)

Havent done enough riding recently as have been doing other running/swimming stuff but it's not a particularly difficult route. Love it though!

I did the very first one in 2013.... 08:30 start....what a nightmare because your stuck with all the charity riders , I found myself battling traffic till just past leatherhead.
    i did it again last year, this time round I had a 06:15 start which was much better and did the first 25miles in 1hr 4 mins and found the race more enjoyable...but there was loads of crashes, one poor bloke even crashed just as he came to the Olympic park, and never made the starting
    just be careful out there people....

Some poor fella died last year on Leith Hill. We'd just turned into it and it was gridlocked while the air ambulance landed.

Stood still for 45 mins then was told to get on our bikes (literally). Standing start with a very slow moving crowd on stiffened legs all the way up to the top. Not pleasant but... big picture

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    0731 start for me. Won a place in a competition complete with VIP loading alongside the various Z listers such as X Factors own Sam Bailey.

Hotel booked in Barking and will have my car parked at our office near Waterloo for the finish (after more hobnobbing at a VIP reception thing)

Havent done enough riding recently as have been doing other running/swimming stuff but it's not a particularly difficult route. Love it though!
    Got myself booked in the Hilton by the Excel centre. And booked the car park a couple of hundred yards from Green Park. So the plan is to check in, register at the Excel, then drop the car off a bit later and get public transport back to the hotel, have a good nights sleep and get up bright and early to cycle the few miles to the start.

I was supposed to do it last year, but had an elbow fracture a few weeks before.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I did the very first one in 2013.... 08:30 start....what a nightmare because your stuck with all the charity riders , I found myself battling traffic till just past leatherhead.
    i did it again last year, this time round I had a 06:15 start which was much better and did the first 25miles in 1hr 4 mins and found the race more enjoyable...but there was loads of crashes, one poor bloke even crashed just as he came to the Olympic park, and never made the starting
    just be careful out there people....
    When did it become a race?

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    When did it become a race?
    Well.....it's not......but it is really....I got 10 mates that have done it and we'll all try to best each other's time.....plus half of the roads I ride normally anyway and to have a clear run...for example Putney high street is never going to clear unless it's the 100
    and it's begging to be bombed down!!....just way of thinking..

.ride it what way is best for you...have fun!!

I can see where you're coming from in your particular set of circumstances living there etc

But for me as an on/off commuter I enjoy seeing London from a different perspective. So for some sections will be taking my time and having a look around, enjoying the atmosphere etc.

Yes there are long sections where there's nothing much to see and then I can claw back some time. Like you say though just enjoy it!