Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 131

Thread: RideLondon '16

  1. #11
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Bridge over the River Cam
    Posts
    4,856
    I set off nice and early last year, did a sub 5 hours, was in line to do it in 4:30 but my intermittent knee problems flared up and I had to limp the last 30 miles getting done by every train that went past. Was amazing, just hope I am on top of my dodgy knees now.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    740
    I'll be pretty happy if I get around in 8 hours tbh. Got an 82 mile sportive at the weekend as my final big cycle before RL.

    Now planning which stops to use and what food to take. Lists needed.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    I'll be pretty happy if I get around in 8 hours tbh. Got an 82 mile sportive at the weekend as my final big cycle before RL.

    Now planning which stops to use and what food to take. Lists needed.
    When I did a 100 mile sportive in the spring, I had a light breakfast of peanut butter on toast, before driving to the venue (an hour away). I took 5 gels and two bidons, one with High5 zero and one with water. There were two feed stops with loads of High5 products, such as ready mixed zero, energy gels and bars. There were also flapjacks and jellybeans in abundance. The feed stops were at 30 and 60 miles, with another water stop at 90.

    That was it, 7 odd hours in the saddle and I wasn't hungry or close to it once. I did had a "dirty burger" from the snack wagon when we got back though!
    Last edited by Dave1963; 12th July 2016 at 10:11 PM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Boxhilljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London baby
    Posts
    1,896
    The first time I did it in 6hrs 20 something.....got cramp coming up boxhill of all places

    the second time ..like Marty I too was a shoe in for the 4hr zone... When I got cramp in both legs as early as newlands corner..the first of the hills...
    i find when cramp hits , I have to stand up and ride...one, two rest..etc..
    and by just keep solidering on the cramp doesn't go but becomes bear able
    in the end I finished in 5hrs 21....
    i still want to get into the 4 hr zone tho......next year maybe??

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1963 View Post
    When I did a 100 mile sportive in the spring, I had a light breakfast of peanut butter on toast, before driving to the venue (an hour away). I took 5 gels and two bidons, one with High5 zero and one with water. There were two feed stops with loads of High5 products, such as ready mixed zero, energy gels and bars. There were also flapjacks and jellybeans in abundance. The feed stops were at 30 and 60 miles, with another water stop at 90.

    That was it, 7 odd hours in the saddle and I wasn't hungry or close to it once. I did had a "dirty burger" from the snack wagon when we got back though!
    I don't generally feel that hungry on a sportive. The last one I did was 72 miles and I just had a coupe of bits of flapjack.Could have probably drank more than I did, but it wasn't that bad. I usually have one bottle of energy drink and one with one of them hydration tabs in. Both filled up at the feed stops.

    Will have another practice at eating and drinking more on Saturday when I do 82.

    Dirty burgers or similar should be part of the rules.

  6. #16
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Bridge over the River Cam
    Posts
    4,856
    2 bottles, both with High5 Zero tabs. Fair few bars and a couple of gels, enough to eat every 60mins at least. No stops, stopping is the work of the anti-Christ! Just blast it off in one hit! haha

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    130
    I managed an official time of 4:44 including crash [Strava reckoned it took 11mins 30 secs to detangle, check bike, fix impact puncture, sympathise with friend whose rear derailleur got broken off and then start again, waiting for a gap between the fast-moving trains coming round the corner!]. Wouldashouldacoulda been sub 4:30. Started to feel a bit crampy right near the end. The only stop I made was at the top of Leith [certainly not at the bottom as I didn't want to carry another kilo in liquid up there!]

  8. #18
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Bridge over the River Cam
    Posts
    4,856
    Good time without question. It took me 2h 15m to hit mile 50 so figured I could bring it home at 4h 30m given it had been headwind out. Wasn't to be, have since seen a Physio, another bike fitter, shortened my cranks and had custom insoles.... fingers crossed I have the knees sorted out.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Boxhilljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London baby
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    2 bottles, both with High5 Zero tabs. Fair few bars and a couple of gels, enough to eat every 60mins at least. No stops, stopping is the work of the anti-Christ! Just blast it off in one hit! haha

    I couldnt do do it in one hit......after getting to the venue for 05:20 ...by the time I got to mile 40 ...I needed a pee......my weakness...my only stop!!

    i don't know how people get on with that high 5 stuff.....sis gear is way better...esp the caffeine range...gets me shakin!!..lol

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Good time without question. It took me 2h 15m to hit mile 50 so figured I could bring it home at 4h 30m given it had been headwind out. Wasn't to be, have since seen a Physio, another bike fitter, shortened my cranks and had custom insoles.... fingers crossed I have the knees sorted out.
    How did you get on with the bike fit? I've got one next week - I've been taking Naproxen on the odd occasion where I'm doing long rides with few or no stops to stop the sharp shoulder blade pains I get, so really hoping the fit will sort me out. And give me lots more free power, obvs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •