Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RideLondon '16

I also used one of those foldable plastic flasks and filled that with about 8 gels [topped up with water]. For me it was more convenient than trying to grab the top bit of gel wrapper out my teeth and then stick it in a rapidly stickier jersey pocket

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    @ Boxxy - That's odd, I think the same about SIS, it's bloody disgusting! haha

@ Mr Das - I had had a bike fit with the shop that built my bike, but when I got back to them saying of my woes, they said come back in and see our headfitter. He put my saddle up considerably. When I had got the bike I noted the saddle was a lot lower than I was used to, but stuck with it as figured they're the Pros.

Must state, I had the knee problems before the new bike, had hoped this would fix them. Now that I've made so many changes, hard to pinpoint which has done what. The Physio and the bike fitter both highlighted muscle groups (VMO and Glutes respectively) that needed building up with a view of stabilising my pedal stroke. Of course, I have not done any where near as much as I could have.

Would definitely recommend a bike fit though, my new bike is so so much more comfortable than my old one. Had way too much reach on the bike I had built up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by David Das View Post
    I also used one of those foldable plastic flasks and filled that with about 8 gels [topped up with water]. For me it was more convenient than trying to grab the top bit of gel wrapper out my teeth and then stick it in a rapidly stickier jersey pocket
    That is a genius idea... I'm going to do that next time..

Has anybody got their final instructions stuff through yet?

I was expecting mine to have arrived by now.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    That is a genius idea... I'm going to do that next time..
    Was thinking about this earlier?! What's wrong with proper energy drinks if you wish to have a sugar hit. Surely diluting gels is a costly option.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Was thinking about this earlier?! What's wrong with proper energy drinks if you wish to have a sugar hit. Surely diluting gels is a costly option.
    But then you won't get the complex carbs..!

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I was taking gels as well as drinks, that's all, and found it a good approach for me when not stopping. It gave me over triple the amount of carbs compared to an energy drink, and for the once or twice a year that I do these types of rides I thought it was worth the outlay [it was 3.20]. I paid enough bloody cash for RL last year, so thought what the hell :-)!

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    Has anybody got their final instructions stuff through yet?

I was expecting mine to have arrived by now.
    What you mean the second magazine and registration registration form?

Yes mate - mine arrived a good couple of weeks ago - if you haven't received it I'd chase it up!
    Last edited by Tom Logan; 19th July 2016 at 12:40 PM.

I find the challenge of trying to fish out and open a gel whilst doing 40kmh in a group part of the 'fun'.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Well after a slightly disappointing year that consisted of a fair bit of swimming and running as well as the odd family tragedy thrown in - my preparation for this has been somewhat lacking. I'll get round no bother (barring any mishaps) - I'm confident of that. Just that I would have liked to put some serious time into my last year's effort.

Alas I reckon I'll be rolling out of the Olympic park through the West end and waiting for the gruppetto to form.