Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Italian Road Bike Mirror

Im not one for gadgets and gizmos, however this bar end mirror does look quite useful. Has anyone any experience of them ?​

http://easternslopes.com/2014/09/01/...d-bike-mirror/
    Last edited by WIZZ; 17th September 2016 at 8:08 AM.

I was prepared to be underwhelmed but it actually looks a good idea albeit in reality it is bit more obtrusive than it first appears in the link. Found them for 14.99 on Merlin cycles. Might consider one for commuting but I'm unlikely to use it on my road bikes.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Hell....even I'm impressed !!!

use a Cateye bar-end mirror on all my bikes as I find it impossible to do a 180 degree neck turn these days to look behind. (The rot of ages). I wouldn't be without one and wish I'd had the thing when younger, even in a race, as it's always clear what's behind without having to stop looking forward - a quick glance is all that's needed.

The only issue I have with the Cateye are that it needs to be well-anchored on it's ball & socket joint to stop it altering position when going down hills at 40mph+, as the wind can then move it off-line. There's also some blur from vibration on seriously scabby gravel roads.

The Italian mirror looks better aesthetically but seems to be a bit of a fad to fit correctly. Still, might be worth the effort.

Lataxe

What an excellent idea, think I'll be indulging in one of those. The Merlin one looks a bit big?

Having just done a quick Google for bike mirrors I reckon that Italian one is the one to go for. I have to say turning right on a busy fast road is something that definitely gets the old sphincter twitching so a small but effective mirror that is unobtrusive is a superb idea.
    Last edited by Muffin; 17th September 2016 at 11:46 AM.
    All the gear and no idea.

CB, I took a look at the Merlin one, which is very similar, however slightly bigger than one I'd consider as I don't like the look of them full stop, it's a bit too big for my liking.
    The following gives a comparison of one similar to your suggested model and the IRB mirror, plus a further review of the IRBM.
    I must say I do like the idea of getting one, the only seller I've found is in the USA .

http://www.signatureride.com/PRtwomirrors.html

http://felixwong.com/2011/07/best-bicycling-mirror/
    Last edited by WIZZ; 18th September 2016 at 6:25 AM.

Looks good. I've often considered souping-up my road bike with Lambretta style mirrors but not sure if i'll be mocked?!?

The bar end mirrors look very good though.

• Rule #66//No mirrors.

Mirrors are allowed on your (aptly named) Surly Big Dummy or your Surly Long Haul Trucker. Not on your road steed. Not on your Mountain bike. Not on your helmet. If someone familiar with The Rules has sold you such an abomination, return the mirror and demand a refund, plus interest and damages.

I have one of the Italian Road Bike Mirrors on way from the USA.
    I shall let you know how I get on with it.

Dave1963, just PM me if you change your mind...........I won't tell the others,,,, I promise.
    Last edited by WIZZ; 18th September 2016 at 10:09 PM.

I've found its easier to look under my arm rather than turn round 180 like an owl.

Surprised garmin havent cottoned on and fitted the varia rear light with a camera that can send an image to your Edge or in-visor display!
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un