Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well, I have had the opportunity to get out for a few rides now with the mirror in place. I have to say that I think its a really good piece of kit, considering its size. It seems like a really good design, with quality mirror glass. It gives decent rear view vision, which is all that I ask. I think considering its size it delivers well. I am happy that I have it now and will continue to put it to good use. I can imagine that from time to time it may require a little re-adjustment if it gets a knock, but thats little inconvenience to suffer for the amount of help towards my personal safety. My mate has also just bought one and he's pleased also.
    The guy at the American shop where I got it was very helpful.
    Last edited by WIZZ; 13th October 2016 at 6:30 PM.

OK sounds good. Checking my bars it seems the ends point slightly downwards and if I try and alter them too much it doesn't look right. Slightly hard to explain but do
    the lower bars (ie drops) have to be parallel to the ground for mirror to be effective or is there enough adjustment?
    All the gear and no idea.

Muffin, there would be a degree of play, I'm fairly sure enough to cope with the bars pointing down slightly.
    Does it suit you to have them pointing down or is there a particular reason why you can't position them at horizontal?

Quote Originally Posted by WIZZ View Post
    Does it suit you to have them pointing down or is there a particular reason why you can't position them at horizontal?
    I have followed this thread with some interest but Muffin has raised a good point. I can't speak for him but in order for the top of the bars and thereby the shifters to be flat/horizontal whcih is my default position the bottom of the drop tilts down quite markedly, probably something like 30 degrees. This does seem to be the way most bars are set today and could be a limitation in the usefulness of the mirror.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Yep CB, that's exactly how it is. I did take a photo but it's too big to post so I'll get it reduced and post it but basically with shifters flat the ends point down. I've rotating the handlebars as much as I can to still ensure the levers are in a sensible position but ends still not level with ground. On my ride today I was looking down and can't see the end of the bars where the mirror would mount so there'd have to be enough play to adjust mirror so it's functional. I may well go for it anyway, if it's 30 down then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    On my ride today I was looking down and can't see the end of the bars where the mirror would mount so there'd have to be enough play to adjust mirror so it's functional. I may well go for it anyway, if it's 30 down then so be it.
    Looking back at Wizz's pictures, if you stand on your head (or rotate the screen!), the drops are quite angled so you may be OK. I'm reluctant to bother though because in 50 years of serious cycling I've never had an incident where being able to see behind without turning my head would have been of benefit. I guess it may be one of those things that you don't know how useful if is until you get it (like my first BlackBerry) but its just more extra weight and I'd always be concerned there'd be a blind spot so I'd look behind as well anyway like with car wing mirrors when overtaking.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I guess it may be one of those things that you don't know how useful if is until you get it (like my first BlackBerry) .
    Aha! Another Blackberry user....(we are rare these days).....What the feck are we going to do when they finally stop production? I have a Classic and it is easily the best phone I have ever used. Samsung/android, kill their own batteries with consistant updates and apple products are just so introverted, it's ridiculous....

I can see your concerns re the angle of the bars. I do feel however that the way the mirror is designed, i.e., the way you fix it on, there will be sufficient room to play about with to get it at the correct angle.
    Re your observation CB, I'd say weight wise, it's hardly anything, certainly not something that would concern me, who are we racing against ?
    Re looking around behind you, I'd say at crucial moments I'd possibly still have a double check on occasions , certainly in this early period of usage while I'm still getting used to it, but it's really nice to have the glances down to give you a clue as to what might be expected.IMG_1283.JPG

The image of the mirror shows the plastic mounting forks which are placed over, not inside the bars, when I mounted it, I put it in position, then kept it in place with a small wrap of electrical tape, then wrapped my bar tape over the lot. The forks of the mirror are made of a fairly soft pliable rubbery plastic, so easy to play about with. Hope this helps.

According to website mirror weighs 54 grams so even if you are concerned about extra weight(I'm not) then that is still minimal. Plus in my case I'd be removing existing end cap/plug and inserting mirror so may well be negligible weight difference.

WIZZ - thanks for updates and info, I reckon I'll be getting one.