Page 101 of 239 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2382

Thread: Latest ride

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    I have itchy maintenance fingers poised over my Argon, want to change the internal gear cables as the front mech shifting is ropey. I've watched the GCN videos, what could possibly go wrong!

Mine does have the advantage of the cables being run through outers, inside the frame, so it should be relatively straightforward.
    Trick is to not let the 'outers' disappear into the frame late on the Friday night before your early ride! GRIM! Spoke to the main man at Bespoke yesterday, without looking at the bike. He said he will probably have to thread a new 'outer' from the BB hole up to the down tube aperture with the forks off. At which time he said he should be able to get the allan key out as well!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    At which time he said he should be able to get the allan key out as well!
    I found it so hard to imagine how one could drop an allen key inside a frame that I read it that your 'friend' had dropped in on the frame and chipped it. So pray tell me: how do drop an allen key inside a frame?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I imagine trying to fish the cable outer from inside the frame.

Allen keyhole surgery ;-)
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This! Very clever Mr PRS.

It had gone 10pm on a Friday night, we felt pressure from the ladies to get the job done quickly. The lighting in the room wasn't sufficient. We identified that there was a cable liner or outer travelling down the downtube. We then started to feed the new cable into the shifters and along the cable housing to the downtube. We then for no apparent reason decided to give the cable/housing a wiggle at the downtube entrance and the next thing we knew, the outer had disappeared from the BB junction.

Cue a lot of expletives and stress. About 90 mins later as I was losing the will to live, after attempts with magnets and pulling the cable out of a near by hole with said allan, he dropped the allan key into the frame and I called time.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    ....he dropped the allan key into the frame and I called time.
    Another very good reason to have eTap and the rear brake cable on the Supersix is sheathed all the way through with a full length outer. The challenge will be if I want to change that, especially as it is splitting where it enters the head tube because there is no give in it and it over-flexes when the steerer is turned too much to the left or right. I guess I'll have to use a cable as a guide.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I have thought about Etap, believe me! Matee in Bespoke says they have customers running Campy that just use the shifters and the mechs.

Internally routed cables is ballache and I had dreaded messing with them. This was the first time and I certainly didn't pick my moment well.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Another very good reason to have eTap and the rear brake cable on the Supersix is sheathed all the way through with a full length outer. The challenge will be if I want to change that, especially as it is splitting where it enters the head tube because there is no give in it and it over-flexes when the steerer is turned too much to the left or right. I guess I'll have to use a cable as a guide.
    Yup, as I understand it, if you want to change inner and outer cables, remove the outers first, then thread the new outer over the old cable. Then thread the old cable out and replace with the new one. Sounds simple enough in theory!

The key is evidently making sure the outer doesnt detach from position until it is asked.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Super strong magnets are apparently very helpful too.

I can imagine its about as much fun as trying to fish back out the temperature probe which had fallen through the mesh grille of my car using a screwdriver and a bent paperclip. Nearly, nearly, closer, yes! oh bollox, clonk. Back at the bottom of the grille again...

Nice day for a ride, so i went for one.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1100417407