Page 234 of 286 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2852

Thread: Latest ride

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Think I had my best attempt at that Caerphilly downhill section tonight. Not much traffic and a green light! Had a headwind though, but at least I had a clean run at it. Just my luck that when I get home, Strava is having a major outage!
    Got a PB, well joint PB if I include the time recorded on my phone last week.

All I need now is a tailwind to see how fast I can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Epic day out on the bike today doing the Marmotte. Felt fine for the first 100 miles then it was survival on Alpe D’Huez in a 35 degrees C cauldron. Official time 7hrs 30 happy with that. Just finishing it is an achievement. https://www.relive.cc/view/1689217317
    thats is the stuff of legends...everyone should watch this !!...well done Mr Q

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Epic day out on the bike today doing the Marmotte. Felt fine for the first 100 miles then it was survival on Alpe D’Huez in a 35 degrees C cauldron. Official time 7hrs 30 happy with that. Just finishing it is an achievement. https://www.relive.cc/view/1689217317
    Excellent ride, and a storming average speed over that terrain.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    MR Q.

Tom Cruise used to be my Hero in Top Gun..... His now been replaced by YOU.

Love it.

about 10 Years ago I rode the first half of that route but turned up on the second village after the Glandon decent for the Col de Croix de Fur. Only made it 3/4 of the way up due to extreme heat and had to get the wife to pick me up.

It was my first time in the Mountains and I still had my 53/25 on - big mistake. Numpty mistake really. Man they were so BIG and STEEP.

Would love to give it all another go now that I've lost over a stone and much fitter.

But Well done Sir, Epic indeed.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Go for it Vlad. When I went there a few years ago, there is a nice little town/village called La Grave which would give you good access to the Galibier and Alpe D'Huez, and some other nice climbs.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    ... there is a nice little town/village called La Grave .....
    Don't know about cycling but it is a lifetime ambition to ski/board La Grave. It has only one cable car and a couple of drag lifts but it is entirely un-pisted and in theory you need a guide. People die there every year - even the guides occasionally (on one occasion one guide died trying to rescue another who had skied off a precipice)!! Nearly managed about 10 years ago but the weather wasn't very kind - not the sort of place to go in a whiteout. It was saved from closure only last year after years of under-investment.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Presumably that is off La Meije... it overlooks La Grave, beautiful views. I seem to recall one lot heading off with boards when we were there in june, I think to a glacier locally.

Sounds like a fun spot for a bit of wintersports, just make sure the holiday insurance is paid up!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Presumably that is off La Meije... it overlooks La Grave, beautiful views. I seem to recall one lot heading off with boards when we were there in june, I think to a glacier locally.

Sounds like a fun spot for a bit of wintersports, just make sure the holiday insurance is paid up!
    There are glaciers at the top - the lifts go up to 3200 m not sure if there is summer skiing there or not but there was so much snow last winter they may have kept the resort open until June. There is a link in the winter to Les Deux-Alpes which has summer glacier skiing but not sure if the link is open in the summer.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Two flats in the front tyre today! One before I went out earlier this evening, and the other on the ride. Checked the tyre over a dozen times and couldn't find anything sharp in there, so I replaced the tube and thought I'd repair the other tube when I got back. Turns out both holes were on the inside of the tube. I bought a couple of rim tapes a little while ago when the rear tape failed, so I was able to put a new one on. Hopefully, that, plus the new tyres keeps me puncture free for a while. Down to my last CO2 cannister too!

Bit gutted as I was flying along when it happened. I had to take a diversion from my planned route due to road works, and I found a new segment which I wouldn't mind having a go at without any puncture delays. Gonna have another go tomorrow.

My first 100 in a long time in less than 8hrsNot looking good as I'm the wrong side of too many glasses of Red Wine