Page 51 of 286 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest ride

Went out for a short ride this morning in the sleet and cold, just over 43km.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/862316673
    aiming for the Purbecks tomorrow.

I'm giving the bike a rest this weekend. It's going to warm up next week, a week off won't kill me. Hiking to a pub today with Mrs. G. it snowed most of the way round.

An hour on turbo prior to rugby, 19 miles.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I'm giving the bike a rest this weekend. It's going to warm up next week, a week off won't kill me. Hiking to a pub today with Mrs. G. it snowed most of the way round.
    Gasper, old soak,

I too have been giving the bike a rest but only because I spent a ten-day back in NW England where I have no bike at the moment (they're all in West Wales). I spent a happy time in the shed making a Greene & Greene style bedding box out of old cherry wood salvaged from the refurbishment of an old Kendal pub, from which they tore out the old cherry skirting, doors, doorframes and similar to replace with new ash-veneered MDF! The fools!! Still, I have my lovely free timber, rescued by a-one o' my many wood fairies (lads who work in the building trades and like the occasional free piece of furniture). :-)

The bedding box is large enough to take the body of an enemy; but I couldn't bear to chuck it into The Lune, with added cannonballs to sink it out of sight of The Count and his ilk.

Lataxe, now back in Wales and waiting for the icy wind to drop.

Yes, it's warming up nicely over the next few days, I am looking forward to heading out on the bike mid week. No sense in going out with ice and snow on the ground with wind chill, although there were some keen lads out yesterday.

I will be looking for some nice hardwood for my new engine trolley shortly, Mrs. Gasper has her eye on our Walnut tree for a table, I need something seasoned, oak preferably.

Just back from 28 miles on the wet and muddy road, good but I found it tough going. Bike hosed down and me heading for the shower.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I will be looking for some nice hardwood for my new engine trolley shortly, Mrs. Gasper has her eye on our Walnut tree for a table, I need something seasoned, oak preferably.
    On the theme of alternative activity (well it still involved cycling in the cold), last last Saturday I ventured into the icy wastes on my bike and took the cartridge from my avalanche airbag backback to be refilled (I accidentally discharged it in the hotel bedroom on my last ski trip which was a bit of a shock to say the least but at least it was not in anger and i hope it never will be. Incidentally the boarders who were killed in Tignes earlier this week were on an off-piste run we did last year. Our guide made us go one at a time across the risk zone and checked there was no-one above us, I was the canary sent first being the only one other than him with an Avabag. The guide with those who were killed foolishly let them all go at once and won himself a Darwin award in the process).

Anyway having found a scuba shop in darkest Slough I walked in in my cycling clothes bearing a strange looking cylinder and it was like a scene from the League of Gentlemen - everyone went silent and stared at me, one could almost hear them think, 'who's this weirdly attired stranger here who has come in from the cold, we know all the scubarists round these parts, and what's this exploding rucksack business all about'? Nonetheless, cartridge refilled I rode home and have rarely felt colder even though I was fully kitted up and the pressure in the cartridge had dropped 200 psi just from being so cold in my bike's bottle carrier.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Today I did 30 miles and just over 800M of climbing up and down various parts of the Teifi valley, on the posh winter bike. (A CF Domane with it's new hydraulic disc brakes and a fine 30 front:32 rear low gear for the impossible bits).

I felt the need to hurry home as I was expecting some small blue bling parts for this steed - anodised valve caps and wee metal cable grabbers that clip to the frame to hold brake pipes, rather than the crude cable ties supplied with the bike. And some blue-anodised cable-end crimps. I am ashamed to say I spent 3.99 (post-free mind) on these tiny blingers. Still, at least it's not a 2000 pair of wheels that make me do 40K in 12 seconds less than I did, as long as I average 25mph (then collapse when a stone looks at them). :-)

Lataxe, feeling Spring is going to sprang any day now. Huzzah!

Lovely ride this morning, left the house at 5:50am, cool, dry and not a breath of wind. Very quiet on the roads - 10 miles before a car overtook me. 90min ride into work - just wanted to keep going. Looking forward to the ride home - will still be light when I get home about 5:30. Spring's almost here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lataxe View Post
    Still, at least it's not a 2000 pair of wheels that make me do 40K in 12 seconds less than I did, as long as I average 25mph (then collapse when a stone looks at them). :-)
    There is an article in 'The Comic' this week about the benefits of aero v lightweight. The conclusion was that even at 15 kph (yup that's kph not mph) the benefits of an aero over a non aerodynamic wheel became measurable even if its hilly and over 25 kph its in minutes rather than seconds so aero trumps weight in anything other than a mountain top finish or an uphill time trial.

However, the caveat was that this assumes the bike complies with the UCI limit of 6.8kg and aero wheels are not putting it over that. When the bike becomes super-lightweight around 5 kg then weight trumps aero so long as its not brick shaped.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.