Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small Bike for Newbie

I commute using a hybrid bike and would like to move to a road bike. Looking for a cheap as I do not know how I will get on with it. I tried a few in Halfords (TDF, Virtuoso and Vanquish) but the smallest they do is 51cm. I am about 5ft 3" and could just get the ball of my feet on the ground and just enough clearance standing flat footed over the cross bar. This was with the seat as low as it would go. Reach to handlebars felt ok, my arms are fairly long for my height. Is this size ok or should I try to find something smaller.

You are very unlikely to be able to touch the floor with both feet from a seated position (I certainly can't!), but you should be able to stand flat footed over the crossbar.

The test, as a rule of thumb, should be to be able to achieve enough saddle height to give a slight bend in the leg with heel on the pedal at the most stretched point of the pedal rotation.

A small frame should be OK for you.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

I could reach the floor with both feet on the 51cm road bike, maybe just the toes of both feet flat on the floor. My knees were bent slightly at the furthest stretch and the stretch was about the same as my 17" mountain bike with the seat adjusted to my preferance.

The position felt right on the 51cm road bike but only with the seat at its lowest so no adjustment to spare.

Sounds like I will be ok then.

Thank you.

I'm not so sure to be honest.

If you are coming across from a mountain bike then if the position "feels right" then it probably isn't. When I got set up on my current bike it didn't feel right at all - I felt too high and too stretched out - and I've been a roadie for 30 years. Only with a bit of time did the bike "feel right", and I haven't adjusted it from the original set up.

Things like being able to touch the floor are irrelevant - what matters is your position relative to the three contact points - handlebars, seat and pedals.

Personally I would try out some other places than Halfords - you are unlikely to get helpful, professional advice there. Getting the wrong size bike can be am expensive mistake, and as you are on the small size you need to be particularly careful.

If you have a local Decathlon, go and have a look at their B'twin range. Excellent reviews and value for money and they do small frames with 650c wheels.

If you are coming across from a mountain bike then if the position "feels right" then it probably isn't.
    The distance to the pedals feels right on the mountain bike but I am always moving as far back on the seat as I can and would prefer a longer reach to the handlebars. The reach felt better on the road bike. I have a long reach for my height, my reach is more than my height.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmarl View Post
    If you are coming across from a mountain bike then if the position "feels right" then it probably isn't.
    I don't agree with that, my position on my mountain bike is the same as on my road bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I have a long reach for my height, my reach is more than my height.
    Surely you mean your armspan is greater than your height - even Orangutans don't have arm's longer than their bodies!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Don't understand why you need to touch the ground when seated. Are you not clipped in ? Most of us have to plan well in advance if we need to touch the ground and it is something we try to avoid at all costs. My feet I would guess are 3 inches off the ground when I am seated. Any less and my seat would be too low. Your legs should be (more or less) fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Just slide forward if you feel the need to get off. You'll soon get over it.
    Last edited by Gasper; 26th September 2016 at 1:14 PM.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

Surely you mean your armspan is greater than your height - even Orangutans don't have arm's longer than their bodies!
    Yes that is what I meant. Arms stretched out as far as I can, finger tips to finger tips is more than my height.

There is a Decathlon near me. Looking at their size guide I am between a 48cm and 51cm on the Triban 500. I was considering the Halfords Virtuoso 51cm while it is on offer at 220. Will use mainly for commuting so robustness more important than weight. Has good reviews on their site. Claris shifters seem to get better reviews over the Triban 500 microshifters.

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Claris shifters seem to get better reviews over the Triban 500 microshifters.
    Shimano good yes.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.