Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by onepacedave View Post
    Getting drawn towards the Scott, can anybody tell me anything bad about them?? Without telling me about your own bike!!
    Well I could go on about my own bikes if you want, there's another 3 I haven't started on yet! I did fancy a Scot for a while but he didn't like me making him wear a kilt. Oh you mean Scott bikes! Actually I lusted after one of them but what put me off was reports that said they were very stiff and unforgiving. Very high on my list and if there'd been an Addict at the right price sitting there waiting to be taken home instead of the Supersix it might have won my heart instead. Go for it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed but you'd better not tell your wife/partner/lover how much it cost!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post

The name Scott sounds boring. Well, you did ask...
    Agree, boring boring boring name. It would be like riding around on a "Smith".
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

Just to throw another bike in the mix, does anybody know much about the super six hi-mod e-tap?? Weight etc, what are the HG wheels like??

Quote Originally Posted by onepacedave View Post
    Just to throw another bike in the mix, does anybody know much about the super six hi-mod e-tap?? Weight etc, what are the HG wheels like??
    Well funnily enough, with the money I'm getting from the insurance pay off I'm going to ditch the damaged Dura Ace mechanical on my bike and retro-fit eTap. The frame is exactly the same as mine but you lose the excellent Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 chainset which IMO is a stand-out feature for a SRAM one which is heavier. Don't know about the wheels, I'm thinking of upgrading to Carbon but without paying a fortune so for now I'm happy with the Ksyrium Pro SL alloy wheels which come with mine. I reckon you'll save a few grams with eTap and the wheels but lose it on the chainset so it should weigh the same around or a tad lighter around 6.3 kg. The Scott Addict SL is lighter but more expensive.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 26th October 2016 at 9:24 AM. Reason: typo
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I run etap on my RB1K ..( and apart from the first few niggles)..it's been a joy to use all summer ...it doesn't take long to get used to the selection process, the set is super easy if your fitting it yourself....and probably best of all , it can be linked up to a garmin (520 and above) so you can see what gear your ( not really very useful ) but it also tells you when you battery is running low...!!
    the only downside to etap is ....... the gear change happens 0.5 sec after the tap...which according to SRAM to save battery power but hopefully when the first update comes along this will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I run etap on my RB1K it's been a joy to use all summer ...it doesn't take long to get used to the selection process. The only downside to etap is ....... the gear change happens 0.5 sec after the tap...which according to SRAM to save battery power but hopefully when the first update comes along this will change.
    I have only ridden eTap for 10 minutes on a test ride but it was enough to show me how incredibly intuitive it is and I can honestly say that I did not notice any delay in changing compared with Di2 albeit it was hard to see any advantage over the sweet change you get with Dura Ace mechanical changing. The only downside I could see is that because the way you have to press both levers to change the chainring it is not possible to make a simultaneous front and rear change. I also suspect the fact that you charge the batteries off the bike gives an advantage in terms of convenience.

The eTap system looks like the business for electronic shifting, I like the fact its wireless. Are the batteries in the shiters, front and rear mechs independently or is there a central battery supply?

I was thinking the other day it would be handy if an electronic system could recognise and automatically combine front and rear combos optimally, maybe even using GPS data to pre-empt shifting, or simply keeping you in a cadence range.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

The eTap system looks like the business for electronic shifting, I like the fact its wireless. Are the batteries in the shiters, front and rear mechs independently or is there a central battery supply?
    Each mech has a separate battery which you un-clip and put in a dock to recharge and the shifters each have a watch type of battery. Downside is that the main batteries only last 1000 km unlike Di2 which supposedly last 3-4000. But you lose the seat post battery which has to be charged on the bike and the wires.

An alternative may be the new FSA electronic system which is kind of a hybrid between the two: wireless shifters but the mechs wired to a common battery which sits on the front mech.

But with SRAM introducing 12 speeds on their MTB gears, how long will it be before we see this on road bikes? Maybe I'll sit tight on the Dura Ace and see what develops. However, unless they have built in obsolescence it should be easy to re-program electronic systems for any speed you want.

I was thinking the other day it would be handy if an electronic system could recognise and automatically combine front and rear combos optimally, maybe even using GPS data to pre-empt shifting, or simply keeping you in a cadence range.
    I reckon as electronic gears can automatically trim the technology to do this is available - you could have a single button on the bars to shift up or down but then it removes the individual choice. Also it wouldn't be ideal if the front suddenly changed when you weren't expecting it, especially in an eyeballs out sprint, albeit it may become intuitive with time

So much food for thought.

The advantage the etap has over shimano is as the battery's wear down you can swap the front mech for the rear mech giving you full use of the gears again ..and because the battery's are small , carrying a spare is no hardship .
    battery charge is only 30/40mins and the levers have cr32 watch type battery's which will last around 2 years before a change is needed....and this is why I got them TBH ....As the thought that I would have to charged up 4 lots of battery's didn't appeal to me....

Are the batteries in the shiters, front and rear mechs independently or is there a central battery supply?
    So what is a shiter ?
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.