Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon v Alloy.

Carbon v Alloy.

Hi guys.

I've been wondering of late if I should upgrade my bike. Maybe for next year.
    My current ride is a Cannondale Synapse alloy with carbon front forks.
    So, have any of you changed from an alloy frame bike to a carbon model and if so, is there really much difference between the two?
    I imagine that carbon bikes are lighter, but is it worth the extra expense?

Over to you folks and cheers.

Les.
    Train hard, fight easy.

My Vitus (screwed and glued) ali was great. My Carbon is a boneshaker....

And my Ti is superb. My steel was between ali and Ti.

I'd go with decent ali over carbon - just ask yourself why the pricey carbon frames have 'elastomer inserts' and stuff to improve comfort that aren't needed on any other material

As for weight, you can get heavy carbon and light ali - and the frame is a small part of the total, so maybe 1/2lb to be saved.

Cannondale are renowned for making world class aluminium frames which are lovely and light and great ride quality. To better what you have you will need to buy a very good carbon frame to notice a big difference. My new winter bike is a titanium Enigma and after riding a very nice carbon Trek 5 series for a number of years, it's noticeably more comfortable.

I had a alu Wilier and bought a carbon one. Switching between the two I notice very little difference. There is not even a weight difference! All smoke and mirrors and marketing. It does look a more swoopy and curvy.

Decent wheels on the carbon bike made a more noticeable difference, and the groupset I notice.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

The wheels have it lads, and I don't mind a dash of solid carbon on me spider and crank arms.

I have just replaced my aluminium bike with a Cannondale Supersix Evo and the difference is incredible, and that alloy frame was actually a sub 1kg scandium/aluminium alloy which was already more comfortable than standard aluminium. The fact is though that the Supersix is a 2.5K frame with lots of design features to improve compliance which is almost comparable with my steel Thorn but half the weight and infinitely more laterally stiff so it goes like a rocket ship.

At lower price points a good quality alloy frame will beat cheap carbon but at levels like the Supersix the design and technology that can go into a carbon frame beats anything else. If you can afford the Supersix I can highly recommend it.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 24th November 2016 at 7:04 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I'll have to say, not that I'm riding it much at the mo, my recently bought Canyon AL SLX might be, all things considered, the best bike I've ever ridden. (Too many commas?)
    Bold statement considering before I bought the Aeroad I test rode most of the top end bikes doing the rounds, including a few exotics.
    I think the the Cannondale Supersix Nano had the biggest 'wow this is nice' factor but it's +/- 7 grand, the Aeroad is the one that instantly felt the fastest but for 1300 pre Brexit, that AL SLX is a proper bike.
    They've nailed that frame. It's just on 7kg with a nice set of wheels, super comfortable and you'd never know it was metal. I really rate it, to the point that I would consider selling the Aeroad and just riding that.
    Bought it to replace a CAAD10 which was great and to use as a winter bike but I don't want to get it dirty!

Many thanks for the input folks. Food for thought!
    Train hard, fight easy.

I'm thinking of buying a new summer bike too. Not too fussed about the material my focus will be on a good lightish frameset that handles well and transfers my puny power well to the skinny rubber.

I'll add the two bikes mentioned (Supersix Evo and Canyon ALX) in my shortlist. Thanks guys great feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tungate View Post
    I'll have to say, not that I'm riding it much at the mo, my recently bought Canyon AL SLX might be, all things considered, the best bike I've ever ridden. (Too many commas?)
    The rule on commas is that you insert them before and after a phrase/qualifying statement that could be removed and the sentence would still make sense. I think you got it dead right.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.