Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Lights

Aldi Lights

The other day whilst doing the weekly shop (aaarrrggghhh) I noticed some rechargeable LED lights which I purchased never ever using any of aldi cycle stuff I was rather shocked how good for the price they were, bought a front and rear. is aldi gear normally this good.

Did you get the front and rear set for 9.99? That's what I have and they're great, more "be seen" lights than for seeing the road ahead in the dark but several settings of intensity and flash and as it happened I've just come back from a late afternoon ride and used them and they seemed really good. (At this point I will mention it so far has been the only time I've shopped at Aldi, more refined taste don't you know...).
    All the gear and no idea.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    You cant knock ALDI - Their food is getting great and I like most of it now.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Yup Aldi cycling stuff is brilliant for the money. Well worth keeping an eye out for the cycling promotions, and getting there early on day 1. Got a Garmin Edge 810 there recently.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

I've had mixed experiences with Aldi cycling.

I bought the LED lights (not the set - the separates at about 10 each ) and was impressed with them. They seem to have great deals on branded products (Garmin, MUC off etc) from time to time but actually when I've stacked it up they've not been much cheaper than elsewhere - barring maybe the Garmins - and seem to employ that old Aldi trick of selling everything in smaller units.

I got a great maintenance stand for only 25

I don't really rate their clothing personally - just never seems to fit properly and I find their tools lightweight and snapped easily.

I always have a sniff around their cycling sales though - just in case.

I have the maintenance stand too. Its OK, except for the fact that you can't operate the clamp with one hand.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

The winter gloves are great for the money and I've had a pair last 3 winters of commuting. Only tonight on my cold ride home, I was thinking how good they are!

I have the Aldi COB LEDs and they're perfect for sub 2 hour rides. Just as light and bright as similar things 3-4 times the price. Obviously they have 'bikemate' logos so are not cool, but then nor am I. Especially in head to toe lycra! They recharge fully in less than 2 hours and have excellent setting options. The full power flash will last 2 hours at least and is VERY bright, ideal for daytime visibility. I also switch to full power 'strobe' in traffic which you cannot fail to see.
    The clothing is hit and miss at the cheaper end, tending to be a looser fit than most roadies would like with the odd loose thread here and there but that's fine on a cold day with a layer underneath. Talking of which, they do merino thermals cheaply but I haven't tried them. Yet. Their gloves are better than Planet X which I have found to be very poor quality.
    The 'expensive' clothing, by which I mean 30 quid for a full zip jersey and 35 for bib tights is outrageous value. A good, close fit and comfortable with all the features you want.
    Between Aldi, Alpkit and Decathlon you can have a full, good quality outfit (Helmet, under shirt, jersey, bib tights/shorts, gloves, socks) for less than the price of basic Assos bibs. I've just bought some Alpkit bib shorts and they are the most comfortable and best looking I've ever worn.
    Unless you're a total poser or a lottery winner it's the way forward!

Between Aldi, Alpkit and Decathlon you can have a full, good quality outfit (Helmet, under shirt, jersey, bib tights/shorts, gloves, socks) for less than the price of basic Assos bibs. I've just bought some Alpkit bib shorts and they are the most comfortable and best looking I've ever worn.
    Unless you're a total poser or a lottery winner it's the way forward!
    This.
    Cycling like just about every other sport is a fine breeding ground for posers with more money than sense and the gullible. Is a 100 t-shirt ten times better than one costing 10? No. Occasionally it is worth paying a premium for a top end product but most of the time the quality and effectiveness of a piece of kit/clothing etc of the budget stuff is just as good.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    You cant knock ALDI - Their food is getting great and I like most of it now.

Anyone else get terrible flatulence after eating their sandwiches? Twice now it's happened to me.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.