Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Road frameset advice please.

Any help advice much appreciated:I do sprint & Olympic distance triathlon - so no more than 25 miles in a race or 40ish miles in training.I'm looking for a frameset to build on & ive a second hand budget of around 500 for the frameset. I'm looking at Boardman Pro Carbon / Cannondale super six frames currently but should I be looking at anything else ??I'm 6ft / 12.5 stone as a guide.Ideally frame set sub 1000g or lighter ??Any advice would be great !

CB has the 'dale (as he calls it) and seems to like it.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

How about a PlanetX time trial frame?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCT...trial-frameset
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    CB has the 'dale (as he calls it) and seems to like it.
    Indeed, I have the Supersix Evo HiMod which was the latest incarnation for 2016 and isn't changed for 2017 and I wouldn't be looking anywhere else it is so good. Indeed, the Supersix has barely changed in the last 2-3 years (it's not called evolution for nothing)! So if you get 2-3 year old frame for that sort of price its a bargain and it won't be lagging much behind the current model.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Major changes in the 2016 Supersix from previous versions. Thinner seat post, completely new fork, stiffer front end and clearance for 25mm tyres. Lots of tails of woe around about rubbing through the paintwork from 25mm tyres on the 2015 model. I'd watch out for that if buying an older one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Major changes in the 2016 Supersix from previous versions. Thinner seat post, completely new fork, stiffer front end and clearance for 25mm tyres. Lots of tails of woe around about rubbing through the paintwork from 25mm tyres on the 2015 model. I'd watch out for that if buying an older one.
    These are minor changes the frame remains essentially the same - albeit the old one is actually lighter, the fork is different but not that anyone would really notice. As for the clearance I was not aware of that so might be worth checking. They have basically just improved an already fantastic frame for 2016/17. The 25.4 mm seatpost however makes it almost impossible to swap it out for anything else, I'm not overly convinced it makes any difference to the ride and I don't like the colour so that could have been a retrograde step.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 6th December 2016 at 4:38 PM. Reason: numerical change to seat post dimension
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Aesthetically it looks the same as the older model but the changes are major IMHO. Personally I wouldn't buy a pre 2016 model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Aesthetically it looks the same as the older model but the changes are major IMHO. Personally I wouldn't buy a pre 2016 model.
    As the proud owner of the latest frame I'd love to think is was a major upgrade but the fact is it isn't. Other than the alleged issue with 25 mm tyres the OP will not notice the difference in appearance or performance unless he's planning on turning pro. But he isn't going to get a 2016 frame for 500 is he?!
    Last edited by coolboarder; 6th December 2016 at 4:41 PM.

There's a standard Evo Tiagra out now. I recently saw it on sale for 799 the 2016 model. The clearance on the rear wheel according to Cannondale is good for 28mm tyres. The older model was very tight for 25 mm tyres for example 25mm Contis would rub. There's no doubt it's a great frame but modern wider wheels and tyres put me off the old model. Guess it's a bargain if you can get a second hand one for 500 and you are happy to run thin tyres. I'd advice a close visual inspection on the rear of the frame for tyre rub damage.

Thanks for all the input.
    Any other road framesets worth considering or is it Super six all the way ?