Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Rear Derailleur Question

I have just bought an 11-32T Ultegra 11 speed rear cassette to improve my cadence up the climbs, which I believe means I need a long cage rear derailleur. Does that sound right ? My crank is 52-36T. I currently have a 11-28T Ultegra 11speed rear cassette, with Ultegra short cage 6800 rear derailleur.

Many thanks
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

It might do... try it and see, but watch for the jaunty angle the RD ends up at when in the 32t, and that the sprockets and jockey wheels don't touch. Give it a test on a stand and watch it carefully before going out on the road.

I fitted a 32 to my Argon18, and I could probably have got it to work with a bit of tweakage but I'd probably want a longer chain.

In the end I fitted a new RD and chain as well.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    It might do... try it and see, but watch for the jaunty angle the RD ends up at when in the 32t, and that the sprockets and jockey wheels don't touch. Give it a test on a stand and watch it carefully before going out on the road.

I fitted a 32 to my Argon18, and I could probably have got it to work with a bit of tweakage but I'd probably want a longer chain.

In the end I fitted a new RD and chain as well.
    Thanks PRS I don't want to shell out needlessly, I'll give it a go.

Might be worth ordering a new chain at least.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    Not sure if this helps but my sram spec is=* 50/34** 11/32 and has a medium cage.

Thanks Lee that is useful information.

Well, I have fitted the new 11-32T cassette and it seems to works perfectly with the medium/short cage derailleur that is on the bike. I did not even need to adjust the indexing. No issues that I could detect, on the bike stand, not sure what I am supposed to be looking out for, tomorrows ride will no doubt show up any issues. I am quite excited to see what difference it will make, I have ridden 5,000 miles on the old cassette with the 52/36 crank.

The ratios on the 11-32T shimano 6800 cassette compare to the 11-28T as follows :

11(11), 12(12), 13(13), 14(14), 16(15), 18,(17), 20(19), 22(21), 25(23), 28(25), 32(28).

So pretty similar at the top, with some bigger jumps at the bottom. Should be interesting.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    If like me you do plenty of climbing I think you'll love it.

My only concern when going to 11-32 was that maybe I'd sometimes struggle to find the right gear for my ideal cadence but that's not the case, for me anyway.

Good stuff...

Just watch that the jockey wheel isn't touching the 32t sprocket when in that gear. You can adjust it out with the B screw, as long as there is a bit of slack in the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Good stuff...

Just watch that the jockey wheel isn't touching the 32t sprocket when in that gear. You can adjust it out with the B screw, as long as there is a bit of slack in the chain.
    Thanks PRS there seems to be sufficient clearance between the jockey wheel and the 32T cog, the only issue I did notice on my ride today was a bit of chain noise when in the 32T cog. All other cogs were pretty much quiet if not silent. I think it may be a lubrication issue, or I may just have to get used to the slight ticking noise. It may be a bit of delicate indexing may sort it, if not I may try giving the B screw a twiddle as suggested. Which one is the B screw ?