Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time

B screw is the lower limit screw as shown above.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

I meant the B Tension adjuster (E in the pic above), which will adjust the angle of the RD.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Thanks guys Vlad and PRS that is really helpful. I'm going to print off a copy of that picture and keep it somewhere.

Thankyou
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

Great discussion this guys. It's what this forum should be all about nuggets of useful information. I am thinking of changing the gearing on my TT bike and I think an 11-32 cassette would be ideal to pair with a big single front ring. Only trouble will be the bigger jumps on the easiest gears but most of the time I should be in the middle of the block. Can't see me ever using the 11 tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Great discussion this guys. It's what this forum should be all about nuggets of useful information. I am thinking of changing the gearing on my TT bike and I think an 11-32 cassette would be ideal to pair with a big single front ring. Only trouble will be the bigger jumps on the easiest gears but most of the time I should be in the middle of the block. Can't see me ever using the 11 tooth.
    Yes, I would have been happier with a 32-12, but Shimano don't appear to do one in 11 speed Ultegra flavour at least. Their 32 cog comes with an 11. I do have my old 28-11 cassette to play with, so there may be some mileage in swapping the cogs around to provide a more seamless experience. Can't say I noticed much problem with my first ride, the ratios felt pretty well spaced.
    Last edited by Gasper; 12th December 2016 at 2:07 PM.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

Funnily enough, when I had my 32 fitted for my Dolomites trip, I found I spend a lot more time on the 50 ring. Worked really well, to the point where I too thought that for most of the riding I do in Oxfordshire I could imagine having a 1x system. Presumably you have a standard chainring on yours Greg which as you say might make the 11t superfluous.

You could of course fit a 12-32 (not Shimano OE though) which might make the spacing further up better.

Over on Road.cc there is an interesting article debating cross chaining, that maybe it doesn't make you a bad person!

Yes I have a standard 53 x39 chain set. I've worn the ramps of the 53 so it won't change down easily. I never use my little ring on a time trial and like the idea of a single ring for simplicity. I do think the 32 cog would be a god send if I hit any hills while riding to and from events or heaven forbid I enter a hilly event. I'm thinking of buying an Aerocoach Arc chainring. Wanting something big so I can mostly stay in the middle of the block so thinking 58.

Good idea... I would also consider a Sram cassette and chain as they are built for some jaunty drivetrain angles.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    I'v mentioned on here before that my sram rival 11sp will happily run in all gear combinations inc 50/32 and 34/11 with no chain rub at all.

I know most people think cross chaining is a bad idea but I do find myself in those gears occasionally.

Yes I agree cross chaining is nog a huge issue. If I was going to buy a new rear mech I think I'd get the SRAM one with the clutch in it the X1. I hate chain slap.