Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I did notice on my ride today was a bit of chain noise when in the 32T cog. All other cogs were pretty much quiet if not silent.
    Was that on the big or the small chainring? If it was big ring/big sprocket the alignment may have been causing more chain-rub but also in the real world the tension on the chain is higher than on the stand so there may be some interference between the jockey wheels and the sprocket or just that is stretched through the derailleur cage.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Was that on the big or the small chainring? If it was big ring/big sprocket the alignment may have been causing more chain-rub but also in the real world the tension on the chain is higher than on the stand so there may be some interference between the jockey wheels and the sprocket or just that is stretched through the derailleur cage.

Both actually CB, I know it is normal to get a bit of noise on the big/big cogs, and you can trim the noise out to some extent, but I have never had it on the small chain ring before. I am going to try a bit more chain oil, plus a quick twiddle of the tension adjuster screw. I never got it on the 11-28 cassette.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Has anybody ever built their own cassette ratio from rings from various cassettes they have split down to get what they want.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Has anybody ever built their own cassette ratio from rings from various cassettes they have split down to get what they want.
    I think Lataxe has - but as he's absent at that moment, that's about as helpful as a chocolate teapot!

Not since the advent of the cassette rather than the old fashioned 'block' but then we had 5 maximum 6 speeds. I had some novel ratios to try and avoid doubling up yet keeping gaps even and it involved a lot of changing the front as well. There seems little need to fettle like that these days with 10 or 11 sprockets.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Both actually CB, I know it is normal to get a bit of noise on the big/big cogs, and you can trim the noise out to some extent, but I have never had it on the small chain ring before. I am going to try a bit more chain oil, plus a quick twiddle of the tension adjuster screw. I never got it on the 11-28 cassette.
    If memory serves on my 32 (I took it off once back in the UK) was that it was a bit noisier even when set up right- maybe a function of there being more teeth and chain contact!
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    If memory serves on my 32 (I took it off once back in the UK) was that it was a bit noisier even when set up right- maybe a function of there being more teeth and chain contact!
    Yes, that is what I thought. It's not much, and most people would probably say "what are you worrying about", but I am used to complete silence.

The slight problem with Shimano is the larger cogs come in groups of twos and threes, so the 32, 28 and 25 are all fixed together, and the 22 and 20 are also joined. The other cogs (18-11) are individual and separate, and can be swapped about presumably. I may have a go. The only problem I can foresee would be the smallest cog has to be an 11, because that is the size the locking ring fits to. Not sure about that. Now I do have a 30-12 on my other bike but that is 10 speed. My head hurts. Think I'll leave it be for now.

The slight problem with Shimano is the larger cogs come in groups of twos and threes, so the 32, 28 and 25 are all fixed together, and the 22 and 20 are also joined. The other cogs (18-11) are individual and separate, and can be swapped about presumably. I may have a go. The only problem I can foresee would be the smallest cog has to be an 11, because that is the size the locking ring fits to. Not sure about that. Now I do have a 30-12 on my other bike but that is 10 speed. My head hurts. Think I'll leave it be for now.
    Gasper, old cogitator,

I bought an Ultegra 14-28 and and 11-32 to disembowel so I can have a 14-32. It annoys me that Shimano don't make a 14-32 available without this tedious expense and disembowelling. In all events, it does need the right size lock ring - an 11 lock ring won't work with a 12,13, 14 etc. smallest sprocket. Happily I have spares in the bit-box, taking only 26 minutes to dig out from it's deep depth of detritus.

The rear mech was also "upgraded" from a long arm Sora to a long arm Ultegra. The Sora may have worked with the new 11-speed 105 hydraulic brake STI levers but I thought I'd swap anyway so I can ebay a whole Sora drive: front & rear mechs, STI levers, cassette, chainset and chain, all 9-speed. There's also a pair of TRP HY/RD disc brake callipers.

The long arm rear mech is necessary as I have a 30/39/52 Ultegra chainset. Although this is 10-speed, it works with both a 9 and an 11-speed chain with no apparent issues. I change it with a bar-end lever rather than an STI lever, though. The long arm rear mech is needed as the total tooth-range is 40 toofs.

In practice I spend most time in the 39 ring (it's very hilly in West Wales) with an occasional blast down long slight downhills in the 52 and the 30 used for crawling up the near vertical roads climbing out of various deep valley bottoms that all seem to start with a 20-percenter for the first 2-300 yards.

Having 14-32 instead of 11-32 means no horrible gaps in the gear ratios at the fast end, especially if in the 52. The 9-speed Sora arrangement I replaced had a jump from 17 to 19 teef, which I found most irksome if thrusting at my limit trying to hang on to the Whippersnapper's back wheel. The change in cadence from 52/17 to 52/19 always seems to make it twice as hard to hang on to that wheel if my cadence isn't at the optimum 90rpm =/- 2 revs. :-)

And who needs 11, 12 or even 13? Only that Cav and his ilk!

Lataxe
    Last edited by Lataxe; 13th December 2016 at 1:38 PM.

Good to see you back Mr Lataxe, all well I trust...
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un