Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Once I have reached elite status I may ease off the gas a bit, but for now I need the gadgets to tell me how I am doing. Don't forget I have a lung disease, and need to keep an eye on things much as you did.
    I understand the desire to keep that rot of your own ay bay. These rots are rascals and will cast us into the earthy hole given half a chance. These days I wonder which one will eventually sneak up on me and when. But only for a second or two, as one cannot become maudlin and afeared of future-bogeys.

It would be useful to have a gizmo that mentions any flare up of the lymphoma. Alas, no such gizmo yet exists although New Scientist keeps telling me news of "bands" or other "personal monitors" that are becoming very clever at examining folk for the signs and portents of this or that grasping their body in an unfortunate manner. But do we really want to know ......?

Perhaps it depends on the nature of the beast? I don't want to know if a sudden-death syndrome is about to actuate when I'm 77 going up that long hill on the bike. It would be better just to drop dead. The risk with warning gizmos is that we eventually end up as some preserved cabbage, sat on a perch in the gimmery, as a psychotic "nurse" on 5.32 an hour tortures us in revenge for being made part of the underclass. Even those able to afford 29.54 an hour nurses will not really be happy campers, despite their gilded perch and diet of banana-flavoured gruel.

Some lads wish for immortality. I can't say that the notion appeals - although if they combined it with rejuvenation ......

But the place would be awash with humans! It already is, except in West Wales, which is going the opposite way. For me this is good but not for those who must work (spit) to live.

Lataxe

Quote Originally Posted by Lataxe View Post
    Some lads wish for immortality. I can't say that the notion appeals - although if they combined it with rejuvenation ......

Lataxe
    Basically I have a simple GPS/speed/distance computer from which I can extrapolate my lung function. I don't even have an HRM, but feel this might be useful in the future. I like to monitor my improvement not from fear of mortality, but because I can see definite and lasting improvements, so it brings a sense of joy and encouragement. I have gone from being a cabbage who was out of breath getting up off the sofa to a pretty average cyclist.

But more to the point cycling is Fun, and I like to compete with myself and against others virtually.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.

HRMs are a great (but not infallible) way of keeping track of effort vs speed via comparing av HR to speed over a known ride over time. Clearly there can be myriad reasons why you need to work harder, e.g more clothing drag, more weight, but for me its an excellent indicator of general fitness.

I love it when the season is well underway and I can cruise around with a low HR and good av speed.

Also on a long ride or sportive when its easy to get overexcited at the beginning, its a good way of keeping pacing under control when you feel strong.

Obvs a power meter would be even better, but 20x more expensive.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    HRMs are a great (but not infallible) way of keeping track of effort vs speed via comparing av HR to speed over a known ride over time. Clearly there can be myriad reasons why you need to work harder, e.g more clothing drag, more weight, but for me its an excellent indicator of general fitness.

I love it when the season is well underway and I can cruise around with a low HR and good av speed.

Also on a long ride or sportive when its easy to get overexcited at the beginning, its a good way of keeping pacing under control when you feel strong.

Obvs a power meter would be even better, but 20x more expensive.
    My own technology consists of some nerve endings connecting various sense organs to the brainbox. There's a processor in there that can calculate all those matters and conditions you mention, which it nominates "feelings".

Of course it is interesting to check the feelings (or even calibrate them) with a gizmo. However, gizmos are often critical of mere human efforts and develop a habit of sneering, jeering and otherwise demotivating a fellow. Mine must live in a dark drawer-bottom most of the time, so it understands it must only say nice things to me when I do take it out.

Lataxe, just riding a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lataxe View Post
    My own technology consists of some nerve endings connecting various sense organs to the brainbox.
    Trouble is L'tacks, your tech is of cold war era and has a few blown components. The battery is also on it's way out

Just watch that the jockey wheel is not touching the 32t sprocket once in this gear. you'll modify it out with the B screw, as long as there's a trifle of slack within the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazanfar Khan View Post
    Just watch that the jockey wheel is not touching the 32t sprocket once in this gear. you'll modify it out with the B screw, as long as there's a trifle of slack within the chain.
    Thanks Ghazanfar, it seems to be just about clear, todays ride was much quieter on the 32 cog, on both the 52 and 36 chain ring, so the noise was maybe a "bedding in noise" after all.
    "Go forth and ride your bike". Courtesy of Me 2015.