Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Big name manufacturers and bog standard wheels

I've posted on here a number of times about manufacturers offering distinctly average (or down right entry-level) wheels on bikes with high end frames and groupsets. The logic behind this is clearly that most serious road cyclists will want to choose and upgrade to their wheels of choice. On the other hand I'd begrudge forking out for new wheels on top of the 1000s I'd just forked out on a new bike.

However, could it be that one of the big-name manufacturers are finally listening? While mooching around a well known bike shop recently (buying a new bike for Miss Hoose, not me obvs) I spotted a very smart looking new Trek with some very swish looking wheels. It was the new Emonda SL6 Pro (note the 'Pro' bit). This is a standard SL6 (500 series carbon, Ultegra groupset) but with a pair of Vision Metron 40 carbon wheels. Now the standard SL6 retails at just over 2000 with some standard bontrager wheels, the SL6 Pro is 2700, but those carbon wheels retail at around 1500. Looks like a great deal, if, and it's a big if, you want those particular carbon wheels. Personally I'd still prefer to have the option to choose my own wheels (perhaps from a shortlist) and the same goes for finishing kit.

Still, very tempting. The frame is a beaut too.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    They are nice wheels to be fair. Vision is the handbuilt dept of FSA wheels:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPVIME4...-road-wheelset

I have a set of the Team 25's and got them for under half price.

I have to admit, that when I buy a new bike I always have the cheapest wheelset as I already own several top end sets and don't need another top end, so to keep the price down a bit, get the cheaper wheels which I then sell on Ebay.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Think certain Giant bikes came with there In house carbon rims. A good wheelset will then make me ponder the frame?

My 2016 Supersix came with Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL wheels which retail at around 697 so hardly a budget set but still some room for an upgrade. The bike new was 3,900 although I got it for 3199 as it was a shop demo bike. The 2017 model which is exactly the same in every respect except for the wheels, including the Dura-Ace mechanical groupset, has a pair of Kysyrium pro carbon wheels which retail at 1320, however the bike is now 5,999. And what is more it is the same price if you choose eTap. With Ultegra D12 it is 2999 but only has Aksium wheels. Some weird pricing structures going on there. How do you work that lot out?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I guess it depends what deals the bike assemblers can negotiate with the parts cos. There are some cracking deals on bikes with old DA at the moment as there is a new DA just out.

I presume that Ultegra will be superseded, with trickle-down from DA, probably Q3.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

I once bought a Cube Litening Race with the shittiest pair of wheels imaginable, but i did not care as the bike was a steal and i had some lovely wheels in my garage to use.

I would much rather buy a bike with a great frame that is cheap because it has naff wheels than a bike with a great frame that is expensive because it has high end wheels. The chances are i will use my wheels of choice and put the ones that come with the bike on E Bay.

Thal

Quote Originally Posted by thalbergmad View Post
    I once bought a Cube Litening Race with the shittiest pair of wheels imaginable, but i did not care as the bike was a steal and i had some lovely wheels in my garage to use.

I would much rather buy a bike with a great frame that is cheap because it has naff wheels than a bike with a great frame that is expensive because it has high end wheels. The chances are i will use my wheels of choice and put the ones that come with the bike on E Bay.

Thal
    I see what you're saying, but what about those of us who don't have nice wheels just lying around? Why should you have to go to the trouble to sell something you've just bought on ebay? Why not just offer a choice of wheels?

Or why not just sell bikes without wheels, the same as they do with pedals?

You wouldn't buy a new car and then immediately start taking bits off and upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    I see what you're saying, but what about those of us who don't have nice wheels just lying around? Why should you have to go to the trouble to sell something you've just bought on ebay? Why not just offer a choice of wheels?

You wouldn't buy a new car and then immediately start taking bits off and upgrading.
    Why not buy the frame of your choice, and then you can build it up to your own spec.

Mr Hoose,

Well, some do buy a car then do the "upgrade" thing on it. Perhaps they even take off the pressed steel wheels to put alloys on. Many just add tarty bits such as a pointless spoiler or brakes with coloured bits. Some add gizmos such as satnavs or boomer stereos. Just like them cyclists who think a bike is a frock, then! :-)

But you're right. There's no reason that I can think of why a seller of bikes couldn't offer a bespoke service - as many do, in fact: Ribble, Rose; and similar.

On the other hand, "the trade" follow that well-known model of consumer economics which encourages the "upgrade" route by first selling you only what you don't want so they can then sell you the bits that you do want. This means more profit, which folk seem to forget is the be-all and end-all of business in these neolib times.

So, we all get stuck with it. Even those lads with several pairs of posh wheels in their shed still end up paying for something they don't want if they buy a whole new bike with lesser wheels on it.

And there's this trick of only offering a better bit if everything else is better. "You can certainly have a bike with posh wheels, sir; but only if it also has the posh frame, groupset, bars, etc. so that will be 7000.......".

Lataxe

They often buy a shed load of equipment, including wheels, at a knock down price and establish a price point. If you start having a choice the whole package gets more expensive. Otherwise you're starting to go down the custom route and you have to accept its going to be a lot more.

Where do you stop: choice of groupset, a different chainset, bars or stem?

Funny you should mention it I did! I bought a new set of alloys for winter tyres on my new car after 2 months.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.