Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Why don't more of us buy the components separately and a frame?

Presumably because it costs more as we get less good deals than the trade...
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    I would imagine the vast majority of buyers simply want to buy a complete bike.

It would be interesting to know percentage wise how many people actually change the bike they buy. Apart from saddle and tyres iv never changed anything until it's worn out.

I need a new summer bike (ok want). In the past I've bought framesets and built the bike up to my tastes. Shopping around now the price for a quality frame set isn't far off the price of an ultegra built bike. I have my own lightweight saddle ready to go on. I prefer narrow handlebars so may change them but otherwise the ultegra bike will be fine for me. It does seem to be the most cost effective way to buy. Usually the wheels do fine for training if not I just flog them and put the money towards the wheels I prefer.

New or second hand frame, same with the components, wheels I can build, I have built 10 bikes this year for myself and old club mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
    I would imagine the vast majority of buyers simply want to buy a complete bike.

It would be interesting to know percentage wise how many people actually change the bike they buy. Apart from saddle and tyres iv never changed anything until it's worn out.
    My Wilier Izoard XP now has new saddle, seatpost, bars, wheels, tyres and cassette. I am considering changing the drivetrain too for an 11s.

I'd imagine the % would be much higher amongst forum members vs general folk. When I bought my first bike I didn't know about better groupsets and wheels and was quite happy with the bike as it came!
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Quote Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
    It would be interesting to know percentage wise how many people actually change the bike they buy.
    I'm an inveterate tinkerer and unless the bike is custom built there will be something I want to change even if it is just to personalise it but mostly to lose weight.

So on my Cannondale I've changed the shifters and brakes from Dura-Ace to SRAM Red/eTap, the stem to a longer Deda Mag 00, the QR skewers, the tyres from Mavic Yksion to Michelin Pro 4 and the Fizik Arione saddle to my trusty Sella Italia. It has all also resulted in a loss of weight from 6.4kg to 5.95kg even with pedals and bottle cages.

I would have changed the seat pin but it is very difficult to find a 25.4mm pin to fit albeit I have one on order. And when funds are available I'll be getting some carbon wheels.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 19th December 2016 at 11:52 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    As prsboy hints a cycle forum is going to have a higher than average number of "tinkerers " (sp) but I'd guess most bikes stay as is.

Hence suppliers not offering multiple options, no idea if that's right just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I'm an inveterate tinkerer and unless the bike is custom built there will be something I want to change even if it is just to personalise it but mostly to lose weight.

So on my Cannondale I've changed the shifters and brakes from Dura-Ace to SRAM Red/eTap, the stem to a longer Deda Mag 00, the QR skewers, the tyres from Mavic Yksion to Michelin Pro 4 and the Fizik Arione saddle to my trusty Sella Italia. It has all also resulted in a loss of weight from 6.4kg to 5.95kg even with pedals and bottle cages.

I would have changed the seat pin but it is very difficult to find a 25.4mm pin to fit albeit I have one on order. And when funds are available I'll be getting some carbon wheels.
    What do folk (read 'you') do with the bits they've removed.....

Can I buy the Dura Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Logan View Post
    What do folk (read 'you') do with the bits they've removed.....

Can I buy the Dura Ace.
    Well it is slightly damaged as the result of my well documented encounter with a car and part of the compensation I got went towards the eTap. My plan however is to put in on my winter/touring bike in the Spring after giving the 14 year old Campagnolo Chorus a final fling through the winter, so sadly its not for sale Tom. Otherwise the bits go in a drawer in the bike shed to be cannibalised as some future date. I just had a slight clear out of stuff that's not seen the light of day for 20 years to make some room but as are all inveterate tinkerers I'm also a hoarder, otherwise there'd be nothing to tinker with!!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Ordered a Supersix Evo as recommended by CB last night. It's amazing what people do on the internet after a few beers. Anyway stock wheels that come with the bike are Mavic Ksyrium. Think I'll flog them and buy some lighter ones need to get the weight down below the UCI limit.