Fao Boxhilljunkie

Morning Bhj, you answered a question I had about etap a couple of weeks ago, just another quick question, how long on average do the batteries run before recharging?
    either in miles, kilometres , weeks days
    thankyou
    Dave

I will be interested in his answer. The tech blurb says 1000 km, whereas D12 is supposed to last 2-3,000. The camera batteries in the shifters are supposed to last 2 years. This was a consideration when I made my decision but the low weight, ease of maintenance and charging but mostly the wi-fi controls of eTap won the day. I also like the idea that you can swap the batteries so if the rear one goes you can use the front one as that will always last longer and can carry spares easily.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Hi ya chaps....how long ...we'll the rear one lasts me around 5/6 rides av about 40miles per ride so for me I would say around 250-300 miles...but then I do a lot of gear changes as I don't cruz.
    this is just a rough guess for me as I use admit I've been a bit slack since the summer has gone.
    i think for the New Year I might invest a new battery to keep in my tool bottle just incase !!!

I suspect that the longer you've had it the longer the batteries will last as you don't change gear as much just because its fun.

So far I'm loving eTap, it's much simpler than Di2 and more intuitive than Shimano mechanical (don't like changing gear with the brake levers) but then I went out on my Campag Record/Chorus equipped winter bike, because the roads were damp on Boxing day, and the changing was so seamless I began to wonder if eTap was really solving a problem that doesn't exist and creating one which does in battery life.

Apart from the Wi-fi, the nicest thing about eTap is the way the front changer works.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Thanks for the reply, I understood that the di2 battery life lasted longer, just need to save a few more pounds, then it will be etap

Yeah the di2 is a bigger battery so it will last longer...but charging a etap is battery is simple enough just unclip and charge anywhere....the charger is USB android type cable so you can charge from your PC or mains...it only takes an hour and if you've got a fairly new model garmin then you can also link the etap up ....and get warning notices when the batteries are low!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I suspect that the longer you've had it the longer the batteries will last as you don't change gear as much just because its fun.

So far I'm loving eTap,

Apart from the Wi-fi, the nicest thing about eTap is the way the front changer works.
    Yesh it's defiantly up there with the Star Trek door noise..ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Yeah the di2 is a bigger battery so it will last longer...but charging a etap is battery is simple enough just unclip and charge anywhere....the charger is USB android type cable so you can charge from your PC or mains...it only takes an hour
    And don't forget the weight saving: Di2 is heavier than the equivalent mechanical system, eTap is 300gm lighter than Dura-Ace mechanical.

Major eTap envy from me...

Amongst other things the big benefit is doing away with two rattly gear cables inside the frame.

I also like how they sell it as a whole group, or just the mechs and shifters.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un