Decathlon bikes decision

I've always been into mountain biking but am now considering getting a road bike now that I live in London. It'll be used for commuting, general fitness and occasional longer rides while on holiday. I've narrowed it down to three bikes from Decathlon, partly because I have a pile of vouchers for the store to spend. I wouldn't be able to stump up the total cost of a new bike myself. I've heard that Decathlon bikes punch reasonably above their weight compared to price as well. The three are the 500 SE, the 520 and the 700 AF. There's only a 100 difference between the first two at the moment. The 700 AF would be pushing it financially a bit but if someone told me it's a 100% better bike than the others then I would consider it. I guess one question as a road novice is how much will I notice the differences between them? I'm sure some more experienced riders would be able to pick up on some of them but if there's not much between them then will it be worth it reaching into my pocket and should I just go with the cheaper option?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...d_8306187.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...d_8322663.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-70...d_8324331.html

A quick look shows:

The cheaper two take mudguards (probably a good idea for your proposed use)
    The expensive one is Shimano 105 11 spd - this is current and a good bit of kit. Double chainset.
    The other 2 are 8 and 9 speed triples - so you get plenty of gears but with cheaper mechs/levers.

If you want guards, go for the middle one, if not splash out on the top one. The cheapest will still work just fine though!

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    The 700 AF would be pushing it financially a bit but if someone told me it's a 100% better bike than the others then I would consider it. I guess one question as a road novice is how much will I notice the differences between them? I'm sure some more experienced riders would be able to pick up on some of them but if there's not much between them then will it be worth it reaching into my pocket and should I just go with the cheaper option?
    If you're into mountain bikes then you should know the difference in quality when you see it. But I would say there is pretty well 200% difference between the 700 and the others and it would make an acceptable ride for an experienced cyclist (and that bearing in mind some of us are spending far more than 3K on bikes)!

However for your intended use then what OBE WAN says about mudguards is relevant (albeit you can put mudguards on any bike its just a fiddle and compromise if there are no fixing points). I think you will see little difference between the cheapest and the middle one so maybe get the cheapest one then see how much you enjoy cycling just for pleasure and have some money left towards saving a better bike later when the bug has bitten. You know you have to have at least two road bikes: one for nice days riding for fun and one for rainy days/commuting!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Hmm, it's a toughie between the 520 and the 700. You have to ask yourself how committed you are to road cycling and whether you see yourself doing a lot of it. If you really get into it you will quickly start to notice the drawbacks of the 520, particularly the Sora groupset (brakes, gears) and probably the wheels too which look a notch or two down on the 700. Not much info to go on in terms of the frames but I'd imagine the 520 is again a bit heavier than the 700. The 105 groupset on the 700 is two rungs above the Sora on the Shimano ladder and for an extra 200 is a sound investment IMHO. The 700 has a claimed weight 8.9kg against 9.9kg for the 520, which in road cycling terms is not to be sniffed at.

OK the 700 doesn't have mudguard mounts, but in my experience the mudguard which attach to the frame with cable ties are a good compromise and not too much of a faff to fit once a year once the weather turns wetter.

Regardless of which bike you go for you'll probably want to upgrade the tyres at some point.

I was in the Lakeside Decathlon Store today and was amazed at the sale prices in the cycling department, especially as i had just walked the couple of hundred yards from Evans.

I would be inclined to go for the 700 as it is a step up in quality from the other 2 and that quality is more likely to keep you interested in road cycling. A 105 equipped bike for under 600 quidz is almost obscene and it has great reviews not only from cycling mags but also from owners.

Thal

Hi there .

I bought a 500SE from Decathlon almost exactly two years ago. It was also my first road bike. To be completely honest with you, it fitted the bill perfectly and I'm still using it now, although as a winter bike.

I've changed a few bits on mine but at a cost of <100. I swapped the tyres, the stock Hutchison Equinox tyres on mine were only 23mm, I changed these for Rubino Pro's 25mm, the comfort improvement was substantial.

I also changed the saddle, the stock B'Twin saddle was very hard, this was changed for a Sella Italia C2 saddle that was on offer at the time in Decathlon. The last change was some better bar tape, the stuff they stick on the stock bike was terrible, it's the equivalent of sticking toilet roll on your handle bars.

If I was to think of some negatives to this, the cheapest of your options, the bike is pretty heavy and it runs with a triple chainset at the front, the microshift gears are limited but functional. I think mine was 350 when I bought it but for 300 it's a good bike with alot good spec for the money. As someone who doesn't know if they'll enjoy road biking or not yet, going with the cheapest option might be a good shout. I'm sure you'll be buying another new road bike within 12 months though .
    Last edited by steg666; 30th December 2016 at 9:22 AM.

Bought my wife this model last year, Its excellent value for the spec, unlikely to find this level of kit elsewhere for similar money.