Sram 10 / 11 compatibility

Will a Sram 11 speed rear derailleur mech work with a 10 speed shifter and cassette?
    I have been gradually upgrading to Red but can't find a 10 speed mid cage mech so I was wondering if an 11 speed mech would work. Bearing in mind that they are both purported to be "Exact Actuation."

I think your going to struggle
    to make a cassette take 11 gears means that all the cogs are possibly 0.5mm closer together than a 10 speed ...so although it could possibly work ...I reckon your going to have noise issues
    on the other hand your highest and lowest gears 1, 10, 11 & 20 will work a treat...lol

I can't see why it wouldn't work. The derailleur only follows the instructions from the shifter so any derailleur with enough travel will work. The actually width of the cassette is the same so you might not even have to change the limit screws but if you did then that is all you'd have to do.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Manglier View Post
    Will a Sram 11 speed rear derailleur mech work with a 10 speed shifter and cassette?
    I have been gradually upgrading to Red but can't find a 10 speed mid cage mech so I was wondering if an 11 speed mech would work. Bearing in mind that they are both purported to be "Exact Actuation."
    You need to discover if the pull-ratio of the 11-speed mech is the same as that of the 10-speed mech. If so, 10-speed levers will work with the 11-speed mech, as long as you adjust the mech's throw-limit screws to match the width of the 10-speed cassette.

If the pull ratios of the SRAM 10 and 11-speed mechs are different, the mix of 10 & 11 levers & mechs is unlikely to work.

The pull-ratio is the amount of control cable pulled by the lever for each click of the gear-changing movement.

Lataxe

Quote Originally Posted by Lataxe View Post
    You need to discover if the pull-ratio of the 11-speed mech is the same as that of the 10-speed mech. If so, 10-speed levers will work with the 11-speed mech, as long as you adjust the mech's throw-limit screws to match the width of the 10-speed cassette.
    We're not talking about using a 10 speed shifter with an 11 speed cassette or vice versa which wouldn't work as the increments between clicks on the shifter and spacing on the cassettes are different. AFAIA a 10 and 11 speed cassettes are the same width it is just the space between the sprockets which is narrower on an 11.

I see pull ratio as one of those myths perpetrated by manufacturers to make you buy their equipment. I'm finding it difficult to understand how a derailleur with free movement cannot work with any shifter, it is only a cantilever activated by a cable after all, the mechanism in the shifters determines how much movement there is with each click, not the derailleur itself. I can see how 'pull ratio' might effect brakes but even then it will only make a small difference in the modulation of the lever which will alter the feel initially but I can't see why you can't get use to that. I am however happy to have it explained in mechanical terms why this would not be the case.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 5th January 2017 at 11:37 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I see pull ratio as one of those myths perpetrated by manufacturers to make you buy their equipment. I'm finding it difficult to understand how a derailleur with free movement cannot work with any shifter, it is only a cantilever activated by a cable after all
    Cos' the cantilever 'length' on different mechs is a different length, so the lever needs to match to give the correct amount of travel across the cassette.

All getting a bit technical for me but I've used a 10 speed rear mech (105) with 9 speed shifters (Sora) and cassette so should be OK. Even had to lock off the biggest gear for junior racing so was actually using 10 speed mech, 9 speed shifters and 8 cogs on the cassette! Took some fettling mind.

I 'think' the spacing on 8,9,10 is the same. 11 is a bit closer. And of course different makes are different

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    Cos' the cantilever 'length' on different mechs is a different length, so the lever needs to match to give the correct amount of travel across the cassette.
    That's it.

But in many cases the rear mech cantilever arm is similar across the "speeds". This is why I suggested that the OP discover the pull ratio of the various SRAM components he wants to use together. If the rear mech pull ratios are identical bewteen his 10 & 11-speed rear mechs, any speed front shifter will move any rear mech with that same cantilver arm topology across any speed cassette of the same make and "speed" of the changing lever. (And in addition, Shimano/SRAM cassettes have the same cog-spacing for the same "speed" as well as the same freehub splines).

There have been some changes. I read that the new Tiagra mechs & levers have a different pull ratio from the other Shimano mechs - something to do with improved changing, although you never know if this is true or just some marketing trick to force users to buy more new stuff.

Lataxe

Question answered: pull ratio on each type is 1:1 therefore it will work. The only problem now is how to slip it past the frugal one.