Strava/MapMyRide

Hi I've been using both for some time now and both been fairly close on elevation gain, but lately they've been miles apart last ride strava's elevation read 1022 ft and MapMyRide read 1699ft for the same ride? Any else had similar. Cheers Gary

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Its all to do with the Earth not being total circular... As it slightly elliptical then sometimes you get a different elevation gain if the Earth is standing on the pointed bit at the time.

or

I don't know.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by gmoore View Post
    Hi I've been using both for some time now and both been fairly close on elevation gain, but lately they've been miles apart last ride strava's elevation read 1022 ft and MapMyRide read 1699ft for the same ride? Any else had similar. Cheers Gary
    Strava have changed the way they calculate elevations. All my elevation figures have gone done, generally by about 20%, including my regular commute. I think the amount it affects your elevation figures depends on the device you are using (I'm just using a basic Android phone). Annoying really, the rides don't seem to be getting any easier since the elevation figures have gone down! I use Bikehike.co.uk for route planning - the elevation figures have always generally been higher than Strava, but that gap has widened significantly. My 31 mile ride on Saturday showed approx. 950m elevation on Bikehike, but only 650m on Strava!

If you use the elevation correction function on Strava, it uses database information to calculate elevation. Otherwise, it relies on the device used, be that mobile phone mast triangulation, GPS or barometric altimeter, all of which have their limitations.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

All my rides are recorded with my iPhone. So can I change it back? If so how. Thanks Gary
    Last edited by gmoore; 16th January 2017 at 9:33 PM.