Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Drying time for Squirt ?

As I will shortly be taking the gravel bike to Fuerteventura I decided to try out Squirt, as a dry lube might be better with all that sand.

Yesterday after degreasing with Jizer, washing with Hope Shit Shifter, rinsing, drying with rags and then hairdryer - I applied Squirt once and then again a couple of hours later.

Trouble is is this morning the wax still feels kind of sticky.

How long does it take to dry completely? Does it ever become non sticky- at the moment it feels more sticky than muc off C3 dry lube.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    It never dries, waxy is how it should feel. It may be a bit sticky because you've applied it twice (as you should the first time) don't worry it will fall off as you ride. The biggest mistake you can make with squirt is applying too much.

Do a search on here Peter there's loads of info about squirt from users.

It is water based so if its cold will take longer to evaporate and dry. Normally it takes less than an hour. As Lee suggests you may have put too much on, it only needs a thin layer - one spin of the chain while dripping it on is enough so it looks almost dry and you get a tiny smudge on your fingers. The trick is to apply little and often - after about every 200 miles and every wet ride. If you put too much on it becomes self-defeating and you get a load of black waxy gunk on your cassette and chainrings.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    It is water based so if its cold will take longer to evaporate and dry. Normally it takes less than an hour. As Lee suggests you may have put too much on, it only needs a thin layer - one spin of the chain while dripping it on is enough so it looks almost dry and you get a tiny smudge on your fingers. The trick is to apply little and often - after about every 200 miles and every wet ride. If you put too much on it becomes self-defeating and you get a load of black waxy gunk on your cassette and chainrings.
    From the blurb I understood that excess would harden and fall off.

Maybe be I should wash it off and start again. But seems a degreaser might be over the top. How should I wash it off ? shit shifter & water rinse maybe ?

I'd leave it to harden and fall off whilst riding, if your set in getting it off just spin the cranks and run the chain through a rag wrapped round the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
    I'd leave it to harden and fall off whilst riding, .....
    That's enough dirty talk on this nice clean forum, or I'll tell Mrs Pettyfor!

Lataxe

Just checked the chain and whilst its a bit better than yesterday it still sticks to my fingers.

Think I might sack it and revert to C3 Ceramic Dry Lube which in my experience is completely dry and non sticky.

Anyone want to buy a full bottle of Squirt going cheap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cee View Post
    From the blurb I understood that excess would harden and fall off.
    There is a limit how much will fall off before it has stuck to the rest of the drivetrain. It needs the constant flexion of the chain to cause it shed and if you're ever in doubt its shedding put your bike on a turbo trainer and run it indoors on a pale carpet. If you survive the wrath of 'er indoors after that you're a lucky man! If its stuck to the cassette, jockey wheels and chainrings it won't shed.

Don't give up yet it really is worth persevering you just learn from experience. I have not had to clean my chains or drivetrains in years.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

X2

You've done all the hard work with de-greasing/applying. Just wipe off the excess and ride.

When re-applying next time put a TINY drop on each pin wait 5 min's wipe off excess and it's job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
    X2

When re-applying next time put a TINY drop on each pin wait 5 min's wipe off excess and it's job done.
    Do you really apply a drop to each pin? That's rather time consuming isn't it?