waterproof short overtrousers?

As ever, when I look online I find exactly what I don't want.

The context is London cycling: I live in London and don't commute. I don't spend hours cycling through wind and rain. I'm not a MAMIL. Cycling is just a great way to get about, one that I've been using, in London, since 1980.

Showers, let alone heavy rain, are pretty infrequent in London, even in winter.

What I want is some short overtrousers, which will just about cover my thighs, where (surprise!) the rain mainly falls when I'm cycling through rain. Easy on, easy off.

I want them to be WATERPROOF. I don't want them to be "showerproof" or "not very absorbent" or "dry out remarkably quickly". I don't even care whether they're "breathable" because I doubt whether I'll ever find myself cycling for hours on end when it's both warm and pouring down like a monsoon. I just want them to be some plasticky material which is hopefully not too ridiculously heavy or bulky. I'd rather they were hi-vis yellow rather than black: why would anyone ever be foolish enough to want to buy black cycling gear?

I've looked all over online and found STRICTLY NOTHING. A pair of (black, FFS) trousers, "Gore Bikewear", Amazon calls itself "knee length", but is clearly nothing of the sort.

Why are all cycle-related consumer goods so utterly utterly rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by mrodent View Post
    As ever, when I look online I find exactly what I don't want.
    If this always happens you may need to consider if you have somehow got on to the wrong planet; or perhaps slipped from one of the multi-universes to another.

I've looked all over online and found STRICTLY NOTHING.
    I have sent your complaint to The Great Web Master, who is even now ignoring it.

Why are all cycle-related consumer goods so utterly utterly rubbish?
    It must be because generations of cyclists have got their requirements completely wrong and are cycling about in wholly inadequate clothing under the misapprehension that they're content with their garb.

Lataxe, who would like a photo of you in your queer new waterproof short thangs, when you have them made by a bespoke cycling short maker. :-)

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

You could also buy some full length waterproofs and have them shortened to your desired length

I can't believe I've spent so long wearing cycling clothes that are comfortable and keep me warm - what an idiot! I also wear black shorts/tights - I may as well just throw myself under a bus.

Seriously, if you want some friendly advice, I would suggest not starting your first post by basically slagging off all of the clothing that us stupid 'cyclists' wear. We all cycle for different reasons and there is clothing to suit all, that's been tried and tested. If decent fully waterproof shorts could be made, I'm sure they'd already be out there. Get some decent breathable shower-proof shorts/trousers that keep you warm when cycling. Most cycling shorts/trousers are dark colours for good reason. Wear a brightly coloured top and dark trousers - you will be as safe as you can be.

Hmm... actually my post was mainly slagging off the manufacturers and retailers. I do think (in the UK) virtually everything cycling-related is much more expensive than it should be. And part of the reason is the whole MAMIL thing: older men who are too content to pay more than they should for stuff.

And the whole "showerproof"/"fully waterproof" thing annoys me intensely. It is perfectly possible to manufacture things from completely waterproof plastics. This baggy shorts idea would mean I'd only put them on occasionally ... they'd be short enough for air to ventilate to a degree. It's like gloves: I finally got some gloves from Lidl for 6 which are completely waterproof and do the job perfectly for cold weather cycling. Most of these crappy "sealskin" or similar gloves are (in my experience anyway) absorbent to a huge degree... it's really a case of Emperor's new clothes.
    Last edited by mrodent; 4 Weeks Ago at 2:47 PM.

Tried to reply about 6 hours ago. Was told would have to be approved by moderator. Maybe because this is my first thread, and it contained a link. No moderator appears to have allowed the post through.

Just to say thanks for finding these links: wonder what words you used to search on?

In the end I ordered some waterproof shorts direct from Aliexpress.com (i.e. they're coming from China and taking weeks... always an interesting risk, but I have got some amazing bargains ... these cost only $23!).

Vlad my son just called you a monster. Your picture doesent help kids like policemen you know. He is only 2.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Vlad my son just called you a monster. Your picture doesent help kids like policemen you know. He is only 2.
    Oh dear - well you can tell him that when I look in the mirror I don't actually look like that at all - infact I cant see anything.

Just show him the advert on TV for Vampires - its an online betting advert - but he has KETCHUP on everything... It makes you laugh.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia