To restore or not restore

Hi folks,

New to the site and forum and thought i'd ask you all for your opinion.

I recently acquired a couple of bikes, both of which i had never heard of but after a bit of research i've learned that one of them, a Fondriest, may have been a fairly decent bike in it's day. The other is a Fred Williams bike which i've discovered most likely came from the shop in Wolverhampton.

The Williams is in decent nick and loaded with campag chorus gear, carbon forks and 3t stem so i think i'll strip and service this one and possibly use it.

The Fondriest on the other hand has seen better days. The paint work on the frame has suffered from being kept in a shed and my feelings are to strip and repaint and try and get it as close to original as possible, replace/repair parts where necessary and give it a new lease of life. It too has campag groupset, carbon forks and decent bars and stem etc.

The only thing is i can't find much info online regarding model or year of manufacture or if this bike has any value. I found one on an old ebay listing for Australia (i think) but have never seen another. It's an aluminium frame and from the looks of it very nicely put together.

So my question is, does anyone think there is any value in this bike? Is it worthy of a faithful restore or better left alone?

Any help or opinions would be very much appreciated and will help me to decide on where to go with it.

Cheers

Bikenut

Hi Bikenut, welcome to the forum
    I have no idea if the bike has any value, but if you have time on your hands to take it back to its former self then do it .
    if you do restore it can you show us how your handy work, cheers

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Well Mr Fondriest retired from cycling in 1998 and then built bikes and still does so.

This might have been one of his very early frames. Yeap you can restore it, but it wont have too much value to it.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

Cheers for your thoughts guys.

I reckon a restore just for the sake of it, i hate to see a decent bike going to wreck and ruin (or any bike for that matter). I'll take some before and after pics and update with progress. I foresee many hours of tinkering and sanding fueled by caffeine and beer depending on the time of day haha

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Look forward to seeing the new stead..
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia