Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ribble decisions

So, this happened to my rear wheel last weekend!

Wheel.jpg

As I have been 'buying a new bike soon' for the last three years I'm using this as an excuse to finally bite the bullet and go carbon. No point buying new wheels as I'm 'buying a new bike soon'. See what I did there?!

I'm pretty much decided on the new Ribble Gran Fondo and am planning to visit their new store in Birmingham on Saturday to have a butchers and check out sizing. My budget is 2k which gives me lots to play with but I don't want to over-spec if it's not worthwhile. My two biggest considerations are 105 vs Ultegra, is the extra 200 worth it for Ultegra? As for wheels I'm torn between Fulcrum Quattro (aero but heavy), Fulcrum Racing 3 (less aero, light, more expensive) or something by Mavic. Ultegra and Racing 3s comes in a shade under 2k, but is it worth the money?

I'm after a 'best bike' for summer club runs and hilly sportives. I'll be doing my first century on it in June. I'll be buying new wheels for the old bike next Autumn when it will become my winter bike.

Any advice welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post

My two biggest considerations are 105 vs Ultegra, is the extra 200 worth it for Ultegra?.
    Yes, but for a bit more why not go DA.

My Fulcrums S4s are good. Go for the best you can afford.

2k budget on a Gran Fondo can get you very good bike indeed.

Ultegra Di2 and Mavic Cosmic Elite WTS for 1,981.

105 with Mavic Pro Carbon WTS for 1,912.

Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium Elite for just 1,792 which will allow you to splash out on better finishing kit and saddle.

Campag Chorus and Mavic Cosmic Elite for 1,911.

So many possibilities.

When you go into Ribble, perhaps ask for their thoughts and recommendations based on your needs? If they're as good as the Cardiff guys, they should be able to help loads.

Plus, don't forget with Ribble you get 30 days to test ride the bike just incase you change your mind. They will also swap out components if you're not entirely happy too.

Buy a Domane 400 from Wheelbase for 900 in their sale. Take off the Sora and TRP HY/RD disc brakes to sell on ebay for about 200 (tested for you by moi). Sell the Bontrager wheels & tyres for about 80 on ebay. Net cost now 620

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/trek-doma...hite-2016.html

Buy a Shimano 105 hydro groupset from Merlin for 500. Net now 1120

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-89849.html

Buy some Hunt 4-seasons disc wheels for 369 (469 with tubeless Schwalbe tyres fitted). Net cost now 1598. Well within your budget and you get the bee's knee's in a very fast yet comfortable carbon-framed sportive bike that'll take proper mudguards with 28mm tyres.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...tubeless-ready

Lataxe

The possibilities are indeed endless so on the assumption you've got your heart set on a Ribble GF (which looks great IMO) and to answer your questions

Yes I'd say Ultegra is worth it and Fulcrum r3s are what I'd go for.

Quattros aren't really that aero enough to give you much advantage from what I read but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

All ordered. Went with the Ultegra, Fulcrum Racing 3s, Pro4 SC, Deda Zero 100 finishing kit and a Selle Italia Flite Flow team edition saddle. I figured there was no point compromising and then always thinking I should have spent a bit more! Just a smidge over 2k!

Good experience at Ribble in Birmingham. The lad who helped me out was very knowledgeable, he immediately recognised that I'd be a Medium rather than Large, despite the fitting advice on the website saying that Large is for for 5'8" to 5'10" (I'm 5'8"). They have a sizing jig and we played around with stem length and bar width, turns out I should be a 40cm width bar and not the 42cm I have been riding, apparently this would explain the pain I get in my shoulder blades after a few hours. To indicate the level of knowledge the staff have, he was aware that Deda measure their bars outside-outside rather than centre-centre so have gone with the 42cm Deda bars. They've also recommended a 110mm stem which will be a big change from the 80mm I use on my current bike.

I had a chat with them about how successful the move to the shop had been and they said it was going well. I though it was a bit quiet for a Saturday afternoon, but then again the weather was glorious! The Mailbox is an upmarket location, I expect the rents aren't cheap so it will be interesting to see how they get on. The shop was very fancy, all shiny racking and bright lights, not like a lot of bike shops you go to!

Have to wait 7-10 days for delivery, I couldn't justify the extra 50 to get it in time for next weekend!

Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Lataxe View Post
    Buy a Domane 400 from Wheelbase for 900 in their sale. Take off the Sora and TRP HY/RD disc brakes to sell on ebay for about 200 (tested for you by moi). Sell the Bontrager wheels & tyres for about 80 on ebay. Net cost now 620

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/trek-doma...hite-2016.html

Buy a Shimano 105 hydro groupset from Merlin for 500. Net now 1120

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-89849.html

Buy some Hunt 4-seasons disc wheels for 369 (469 with tubeless Schwalbe tyres fitted). Net cost now 1598. Well within your budget and you get the bee's knee's in a very fast yet comfortable carbon-framed sportive bike that'll take proper mudguards with 28mm tyres.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...tubeless-ready

Lataxe
    Nice idea, however as a busy man with work and family commitments, this sounds like a lot of hassle! There are some days when I literally don't have time to wipe my ar*e, nevermind sell stuff on eBay and tinker with bicycle bits. I'm happy to pay a premium for the convenience of somebody building my bike for me and delivering it to my house.

If and when I ever have the good fortune to retire, I imagine bike fettling will be up there in my list of hobbies.

All ordered. Went with the Ultegra, Fulcrum Racing 3s, Pro4 SC, Deda Zero 100 finishing kit and a Selle Italia Flite Flow team edition saddle. I figured there was no point compromising and then always thinking I should have spent a bit more! Just a smidge over 2k!

Good experience at Ribble in Birmingham. The lad who helped me out was very knowledgeable, he immediately recognised that I'd be a Medium rather than Large, despite the fitting advice on the website saying that Large is for for 5'8" to 5'10" (I'm 5'8"). They have a sizing jig and we played around with stem length and bar width, turns out I should be a 40cm width bar and not the 42cm I have been riding, apparently this would explain the pain I get in my shoulder blades after a few hours. To indicate the level of knowledge the staff have, he was aware that Deda measure their bars outside-outside rather than centre-centre so have gone with the 42cm Deda bars. They've also recommended a 110mm stem which will be a big change from the 80mm I use on my current bike.

I had a chat with them about how successful the move to the shop had been and they said it was going well. I though it was a bit quiet for a Saturday afternoon, but then again the weather was glorious! The Mailbox is an upmarket location, I expect the rents aren't cheap so it will be interesting to see how they get on. The shop was very fancy, all shiny racking and bright lights, not like a lot of bike shops you go to!

Have to wait 7-10 days for delivery, I couldn't justify the extra 50 to get it in time for next weekend!

Can't wait!
    Congrats! Those 7-10 days will go by soooo slowly Should be worth the wait though.

I absolutely love my Ribble bike.

To indicate the level of knowledge the staff have, he was aware that Deda measure their bars outside-outside rather than centre-centre so have gone with the 42cm Deda bars. They've also recommended a 110mm stem which will be a big change from the 80mm I use on my current bike.
    Hopefully he also knows that Deda measure their stems from centre of steerer to front plate not centre to centre. If they don't then for some other reason Deda stems come 5 mm longer than others. I think 110 is pushing it for 5'8" albeit that might be 105 in real money if its a Deda. Don't forget that if you ride on the hoods that the reach on Shimano is longer than on Campagnolo or SRAM so you might need to go nearly 1 cm shorter on the stem spending on what you're used to
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Does the gran fondo take 25 mm tyres now ?,a friend of mine bought one and the max tyre size was 23 mm