Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Hopefully he also knows that Deda measure their stems from centre of steerer to front plate not centre to centre. If they don't then for some other reason Deda stems come 5 mm longer than others. I think 110 is pushing it for 5'8" albeit that might be 105 in real money if its a Deda. Don't forget that if you ride on the hoods that the reach on Shimano is longer than on Campagnolo or SRAM so you might need to go nearly 1 cm shorter on the stem spending on what you're used to
    Excellent knowledge CB, I did not know that! I queried it at the time and he said that based on the geometry, i.e. shorter top tube I should be alright. I felt OK on the sizing jig but it's difficult to judge based on 5 minutes. At least if it's wrong it's an easy thing to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolndave View Post
    Does the gran fondo take 25 mm tyres now ?,a friend of mine bought one and the max tyre size was 23 mm
    It's a new frame, and indeed it does accommodate 25s. I'm stubbornly sticking with my 23mm Michelins.

Had my build date through, 18th, so will hopefully have it for the weekend of the 22nd

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    It's a new frame, and indeed it does accommodate 25s. I'm stubbornly sticking with my 23mm Michelins.
    Aww, go on try some 25mm. I'm a cynical sort, but was surprised by the difference when I did.

Enjoy the new bike when it comes!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Excellent knowledge CB, I did not know that! I queried it at the time and he said that based on the geometry, i.e. shorter top tube I should be alright. I felt OK on the sizing jig but it's difficult to judge based on 5 minutes. At least if it's wrong it's an easy thing to fix.
    I can't imagine why you'd want a bigger frame, you'd probably fit a medium and if in doubt I think the smaller frame is the right choice. When you get the bike do my bike fit at home particularly with KOPS and the 'bar top eclipses front hub' tests.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Aww, go on try some 25mm. I'm a cynical sort, but was surprised by the difference when I did.
    I have 25 mm tyres on my Cannondale and quite honestly I can't tell the difference in ride quality from 23 mm, but then I run those at 80-85 psi anyway so the cynic remains in me.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolndave View Post
    Does the gran fondo take 25 mm tyres now ?,a friend of mine bought one and the max tyre size was 23 mm
    I've always had 25s on my GF. It came with them IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Deda measure their stems from centre of steerer to front plate not centre to centre. If they don't then for some other reason Deda stems come 5 mm longer than others.
    Excellent knowledge CB, I did not know that!
    Slight update on previous information. Although Deda stems do seem to come up 5mm longer than their nominal length it is misleading to say they measure to the front plate - if that was true they would be shorter! So having taken another look at my Deda stems the length seems to be measured to the back of the bar top not the centre, either that or all my Deda stems have been sized incorrectly!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Having recently lost use of my Hybrid and having started to use my old road bike to get to work, I definitely think you can feel the difference between 23mm and 25mm.

What's happened to your hybrid?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Took that tumble on the ice (stupid mistake) in Feb, the bike picked up a creaking at the front end, like a dodgy BB but at the front. Had a local LBS change the headset out with some high quality sealed parts. Noise still there.... went back and bless them, they spent half a day trying to work out where the noise was coming from. Eventually they concluded there was a hairline fracture in one of the dropouts using a stethoscope.

They said send back to shop where you bought it and ask for warranty. Only thing is, to the naked eye not I or anyone can see any crack. The only thing that fixed the suicide inducing noise was swapping out the forks. Anyways, of course when the forks landed back in the hands of Bianchi in Italy. They could see nothing and said the noise was detritus pinging around inside the forks, bl00dy insulting!

Anyways long story short, they said no warranty cover and they'd send the forks back. I told them to stick the forks where the sun doesn't shine as firstly, I can't use them with the racket they make. Secondly, now the LBS has put the seed of doubt in there regarding a catastrophic drop out failure I will not ride the bike. It's a real ballache, I had done over 4k on the bike in all conditions. So recently replaced the entire drive train and now the headset, so I'm into the bike for over 200 squid. Which in high insight, would have been better off putting towards another 'Cycle to Work' hack.

Hence I am on the ill fitting Pinna for commuting services, first time I have ever used a road bike and been clipped in through the 'Rat Race' that is the dismal traffic in The Bridge. Waiting to hear back further from Bianchi, but things move slowly with Italian companies. I fear I am buggered and have a brand new groupset on a frame without forks. Ideally want a cheap well fitted alloy bike fitted from Bespoke, but what with saving for a house and paying for the Pork, I don't want to buy another bl00dy bike. Would lose the Pinna frame and move all bits across.