Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Still no sign of the bike, my build date was yesterday so was expecting an email last night. Resisting the urge to send them a jokey 'is my bike ready yet' email. I'll be most grumpy if it hasn't arrived by the weekend.

Still a bit concerned about the fit, my current bike has a top tube of 555mm with an 80mm stem, the Ribble will be 533mm with an 110mm stem so about 10mm longer. The seat tube angles are about the same so it will probably feel a bit longer in the reach. Probably about time I tried to get a bit more stretched out though, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    Still a bit concerned about the fit, my current bike has a top tube of 555mm with an 80mm stem, the Ribble will be 533mm with an 110mm stem so about 10mm longer. The seat tube angles are about the same so it will probably feel a bit longer in the reach. Probably about time I tried to get a bit more stretched out though, time will tell.
    555 mm sounds too long for you so 533 more reasonable for your height. It does sound as though you were compensating for a bike that was too large with a shorter stem and this can effect the steering. As suggested previously, set your saddle position by KOPS method then sit with your hands on the hoods and when you look down the bar top should eclipse the front wheel hub. If that works then the set up is correct, if not time to question the bike fit. If they've got it wrong its up to them to put it right.

Incidentally, I have put Dura Ace on my touring/winter bike and the lever hoods are 1 cm longer than the Campagnolo I took off. The position feels slightly stretched out even though I've brought my saddle forward a tad and I am failing the eclipse test so may be buying a 100 mm stem to replace the 110 mm one that's on there at the moment.

I had a bike fit 9 years ago, supposedly near perfect but things change. My position on the new Cannondale feels completely dialed: no back ache, I feel powerful and comfortable over a 3.5 hour ride so I'm using my setup on that as my new default. The main thing I've done differently is slammed my bars by 3-4 cm so more weight is more on my arms rather than being supported by my back.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 19th April 2017 at 1:38 PM. Reason: typos
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    555 mm sounds too long for you so 533 more reasonable for your height. It does sound as though you were compensating for a bike that was too large with a shorter stem and this can effect the steering. As suggested previously, set your saddle position by KOPS method then sit with your hands on the hoods and when you look down the bar top should eclipse the front wheel hub. If that works then the set up is correct, if not time to question the bike fit. If they've got it wrong its up to them to put it right.

Incidentally, I have put Dura Ace on my touring/winter bike and the lever hoods are 1 cm longer than the Campagnolo I took off. The position feels slightly stretched out even though I've brought my saddle forward a tad and I am failing the eclipse test so may be buying a 100 mm stem to replace the 110 mm one that's on there at the moment.

I had a bike fit 9 years ago, supposedly near perfect but things change. My position on the new Cannondale feels completely dialed: no back ache, I feel powerful and comfortable over a 3.5 hour ride so I'm using my setup on that as my new default. The main thing I've done differently is slammed my bars by 3-4 cm so more weight is more on my arms rather than being supported by my back.
    Indeed, my current bike is slightly weird geometry, it has a 555mm sloping top tube which gives a 50cm seat tube. In all fairness it is probably too big (perils of buying online) although I do have a fair amount of seat pin exposed. The next size down was a 45cm which would have meant even more seat pin exposed and a longer drop to the bars. I'm looking forward to having a bike that fits (with the possible exception of the stem!).

PS, bike marked as dispatched this evening...

Very fashionable to have a compact frame with lots of seat pin exposed, it will increase the rigidity of the frame but it's also meant to improve compliance and comfort. In fact its a bit disconcerting that the Supersix is one of the few frames with almost standard geometry but the design works so why change it and Cannondale overcome the compliance issue with a super thin seat pin.

The length of the top and seat tube are measured as 'virtual' on a compact frame and it should make no difference to your nominal saddle height which is determined by your leg length. The head tube height remains the same therefore unless you've got less spacers and slammed the bars the height difference between them and the saddle should remain constant.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

It's here! Arrived on Monday, took a bit of time to setup as I had to attach the bars, seat clamp, seat post, saddle (why are saddles so damn fiddly to get right?), pedals and bottle cages!

Took it out for a quick shakedown, not ideal as it was cold, gusting at 20mph plus and I'd just eaten a big curry, but I couldn't not ride it! Initial thoughts are that the fit is pretty much spot on, the 11cm stem didn't feel too long and you can see how much seat post I have exposed and the drop to the bars. Need to do a KOPS test to get the saddle position right. The longer stem and narrower bars do make the bike handle very differently to what I'm used to, I was a bit wobbly! The saddle was a bit firm and I was slipping around on it, a couple of longer rides this weekend will tell me whether it's going to be a good fit or not.

Gearing will also take some getting used to moving from a triple to a compact, no more sitting on the middle 39t ring for me! My only other comment is that the view from the cockpit just looks weird without cables snaking everywhere!

Here she is (no comments about the chairs please, already had those from clubmates!)

IMG_20170424_184508sml.jpg

Looks good Mr Hoose.

Enjoy!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    The longer stem and narrower bars do make the bike handle very differently to what I'm used to, I was a bit wobbly!
    Once you've confirmed you saddle position by KOPS then do the bars eclipse the front hub test. If when you look down while riding on the hoods you can see the hub in front of the bars while riding on the hoods you're too far forward which would make the bike too twitchy.

How are you finding the Gran Fondo? I'm torn between just upgrading my wheels to possibly(probably!) getting a whole new bike and the Ribble Gran Fondo seems to fit the bill for my needs. I was thinking I would go Di2 also, did you consider this? The nearest store is Cardiff which is still over 2 hours drive away which is a pain but be good to get sizing right, I reckon a small or maybe medium for me.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    How are you finding the Gran Fondo? I'm torn between just upgrading my wheels to possibly(probably!) getting a whole new bike and the Ribble Gran Fondo seems to fit the bill for my needs. I was thinking I would go Di2 also, did you consider this? The nearest store is Cardiff which is still over 2 hours drive away which is a pain but be good to get sizing right, I reckon a small or maybe medium for me.
    Loving the bike. Did a 50 mile club run on Saturday (lots of admiring looks and comments from club mates), bagged plenty of PBs and a healthy avg speed, even with hanging around at the back chatting.

Did my regular 2 hour route on my own on Monday. Only the one PB but conditions weren't ideal and I've ridden those segments a hundred times. Bike felt fast, especially towards the end of the ride.

My only negative is that the ride is firmer than I expected, possibly down to the Fulcrum 3 wheels, 23mm rubber and a firmer saddle.

Regarding sizing, I've noticed they've updated the website, originally they said the Large was for 5'8" up but it was way too big for me. The top tube is short so I'd recommend a longer stem if you're not able to try it out. I'm 5'8" and the medium with 11cm stem is about right.

Didn't consider Di2, solves a problem that doesn't exist, lot of faff, can leave you stranded and costs too much. But that's just my opinion
    Last edited by graywoodhouse; 3rd May 2017 at 9:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    You could get the train. Only a day or two to travel from Pembroke Dock to Cardiff. :-)

Lataxe, thinking they need a "never" in front of Arriva.

PS They're very helpful on board, mind. You have plenty of time to swap life stories an' all.