Prescription Sunglasses for Cycling

Does anyone have any recommendations for prescription cycling sunglasses?
    Have you tried both the 'direct glazed' ones and the 'prescription insert'?
    Any pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Only have glasses for reading so just use my Oakley's on the road.

However have job sometimes to read the damn Garmin and any text messages I get.

I hear the Rudy Project do prescription cycling glasses - but they do cost.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I wear varifocal contact lenses so I can use normal shades - Oakley of course! However, I suspect you'll have less problems with 'direct glazed' steaming up and better peripheral vision albeit they do cost more.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Same here, cant read the Garmin without my glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Only have glasses for reading so just use my Oakley's on the road.

However have job sometimes to read the damn Garmin and any text messages I get.

I hear the Rudy Project do prescription cycling glasses - but they do cost.

I cant get to grips with contact lenses but the peripheral vision when glancing behind is definitely a concern that's steering me towards 'direct glazed'.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I wear varifocal contact lenses so I can use normal shades - Oakley of course! However, I suspect you'll have less problems with 'direct glazed' steaming up and better peripheral vision albeit they do cost more.

Optilabs, so long as your prescription is less than 6 months old is about your cheapest option. Beware not to choose any frame with soft rubber comfort pads, they quickly deteriorate.
    I now use a pair of Oakley Whiskers with Essilor Optifog varifocal lenses. I had them originally with Oakley lenses as my main specs but when my prescription changed I had them reglazed by RX Sports and they are now just for cycling.

Thanks manglier. I'll have a look at Optilabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Manglier View Post
    Optilabs, so long as your prescription is less than 6 months old is about your cheapest option. Beware not to choose any frame with soft rubber comfort pads, they quickly deteriorate.
    I now use a pair of Oakley Whiskers with Essilor Optifog varifocal lenses. I had them originally with Oakley lenses as my main specs but when my prescription changed I had them reglazed by RX Sports and they are now just for cycling.

I know this thread is 3 weeks old, however......

I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses last year. I normally wear varifoculs but just went with distance prescription. I immediately thought I had made a mistake.

This week I took the plunge and ordered varifocal lenses to replace the current lenses. So 180 plus the cost of the frame. I am looking forward to picking them up. They are polaroid as well.

I used RXSport for mine, Oakleys they took a couple of weeks to be made and delivered

My last 4 pairs of prescription riding glasses have been from Optilabs.My prescription is too strong for Oakley and even though my everyday glasses are Oakley framed Oakley won't supply a frame only option on Sunglasses for the optician to fit my lenses
    I have the Photochromic optilabs lenses and the first three pairs were used for MTB/DH and stood up all the abuse I gave them.My new ones are also Variofocal as I now need them to read my Garmin/menus etc