Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Nutrition- weight loss

Hello, i have been cycling to work most days and the odd spin on the weekend since October 2016, i have done just under 2000 miles averaging around 50 miles per week.

I am 6'2 and was 101kg before i started and i am now 97kg i can see the difference and i feel alot healthier.

My question is for my work breaks i eat alot of bread, few slices for my morning break then a couple sandwiches or rolls for my lunch. I can go through a loaf every 2-3 days.

I like bread what can i say ☺

Would this be holding me back?
    What do you guys have for your breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by steven342 View Post
    I like bread what can i say. Would this be holding me back?
    What can I say? - you know the answer!
    What do you guys have for your breaks?
    Today I had just a cup of coffee because believe it or not, even though I weigh just 65 kg, I want to lose a couple of kilos to justify spending a lot of money on a sub 6 kg bike.

Well done for what you have already achieved but sorry to depress there is no shortcut: eat less, exercise more, stop making excuses.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 19th April 2017 at 1:47 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Yeah i like food way too much to get too that kind off weight. Im reasonably happy to be honest, just trying to sharpen up the old bread belly ��

I was thinking maybe substitute bread for wraps or something.. I still need to eat, just maybe something less dense? More cycling friendly? ☺
    Last edited by steven342; 19th April 2017 at 2:31 PM.

I was thinking maybe substitute bread for wraps or something.. I still need to eat, just maybe something less dense? More cycling friendly? ☺
    OK but you don't need to eat as much, or forego the carbs and just eat some protein and salad. Most of it is out of habit and people eat because its a routine not because they feel hungry. If you really want to lose weight eat less than you burn off and if that means feeling hungry c'est la vie! I'm not some anorexic, I enjoy my food but if I see pounds piling on I eat less. You're serious or you're not, your choice.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Well I'm not over weight (fortunately), and I love bread and eat loads of it much to Mrs Muffins contempt - she thinks I should be more adventurous at lunch time than just having sandwiches. Along with tea, coffee and alcohol, bread is one of the things I'd definitely find hard to give up .

I should add when I say I'm not overweight, I'm a muscular athletic build which suits me fine for the sports I do. As compared to the usual emaciated build of a serious cyclist I'm positively obese but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited by Muffin; 19th April 2017 at 5:13 PM.
    All the gear and no idea.

And the correct answer is? Choice number 1 cycle a longer route home from work to burn off the carbs from the loaf. Say 20 to 30 miles.
    Choice no 2 cut the number of sandwiches you eat for lunch. You will feel hungry till your stomach gets used to the lower input.

You need to run a deficit to lose weight. Do that by cycling more or eating less your choice.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Cut out the sandwich and just eat the chips out of the paper. That way you will be eating less at Lunch.

Have you tried to eat an ALDI pre prepared salad instead, they have tuna, Pasta and Chicken and are good value and actually very nice.
    NOT logging in every and each visit now.
    Going to have to BITE someone soon.
    Amicabili Lamia

I have a sandwich for lunch often, I also as Vlad suggests, have salads. There are good ones available, Tesco for example do some in their meal deal for 3.

Maybe try some wholemeal bread with less processed flour, wraps would be an improvement. You would be horrified if you saw how much sugar there is in a white loaf.

All that said, you have to enjoy yourself! If you like bread, eat it, but cycle more, or at higher intensity from time to time (have a look at Tabata intervals on the web) which will increase your metabolic rate/calorie burn.
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    All that said, you have to enjoy yourself! If you like bread, eat it, but cycle more, or at higher intensity from time to time (have a look at Tabata intervals on the web) which will increase your metabolic rate/calorie burn.
    I'm through with stating the bleedin' obvious about eating less and exercising more, there's no magic to it, just people in denial with no will power.

However if someone wants to lose weight as their primary objective doing short, high intensity efforts is not good advice. Long efforts below aerobic threshold are the only way to burn off fat. Even walking fairly briskly is a better bet.

How are things in the 19th Century CB?
    "Training is also a battle" - Kim Jong-Un