Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with reach problem

I have my bike setup with the correct seat height ,angle of knee on the peddles and have the seat as far back on the rail as it will go but its still not far enough back .
    the bike is the right size as my seat post is not that high for me to get to the peddles ,it could go a lot higher and if I would of purchased the next size frame I would be sitting on the frame to reach the peddles

when im on the drops my arse is almost off the seat so can you purchase seat posts that give the extra reach ? or is there any other way to get a longer reach?

even when im riding on the hoods I could do with going back a bit .

thanks in advance .....Ta
    Last edited by Dano; 20th May 2017 at 5:05 PM.

Change your stem?
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Change your stem?
    That's what I need to do , just measured mine and it's 160mm so could get the longer reach with a longer stem

Or do you think if I did away with the 2 spacers I would get the reach with it slammed ?

Thanks for the speedy reply
    Last edited by Dano; 20th May 2017 at 5:59 PM.

Well there's plenty on here far more experienced than me in road cycling but I'd have thought a 160mm stem is more than long enough! My first thought is your bike is too small if you think you need a longer stem than that.
    All the gear and no idea.

as I say the frame is right as my seat is only raised around 6", maybe less

i have little legs but long arms lol

It's a bit out there but in your case it might work.....could you get a layback seat post from a bmx in your frame?.....that would give you a few inches extra on the reach
    or if you got any Sparks mates ...bend your seat post in their metal conduit bender

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    It's a bit out there but in your case it might work.....could you get a layback seat post from a bmx in your frame?.....that would give you a few inches extra on the reach
    or if you got any Sparks mates ...bend your seat post in their metal conduit bender
    Might see if it's a possibility to get a longer seat or drop the spacers .
    I only need another inch or two .

Give me something to think about for the next week anyway

A Canyon VCLS (not the newer VCLS 2) seatpost could be what you are looking for. It has an adjustable set-back of 15 to 35 mm. The drawback is that it comes in 27.2 mm only.

Quote Originally Posted by Manglier View Post
    A Canyon VCLS (not the newer VCLS 2) seatpost could be what you are looking for. It has an adjustable set-back of 15 to 35 mm. The drawback is that it comes in 27.2 mm only.
    Thanks .....will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    I have my bike setup with the correct seat height ,angle of knee on the peddles and have the seat as far back on the rail as it will go but its still not far enough back .
    the bike is the right size as my seat post is not that high for me to get to the peddles ,it could go a lot higher and if I would of purchased the next size frame I would be sitting on the frame to reach the peddles
    The most important factor when considering frame size is top tube length not seat tube so it may be right for your inside leg but not your body+arm length. You say you've set up the saddle so your knee angle is correct but have you set your saddle according to KOPS because that is what determines its forward position.?. You can then start dealing with the cockpit. So do the KOPS first then sit on your lever hoods and look down and see if the front hub is eclipsed by the bar top. If not then follow the guidance in my guide. 160 mm is already pretty extreme, you are in danger of compromising your position on the bike if it needs to go much longer.

It could be if you're an odd shape as you say then you will struggle to find an off-the-peg frame and will need a custom built job.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 22nd May 2017 at 10:50 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.