Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello

hello

just joined this forum to learn about riding

Hi there, ask away, lots of friendly advice on tap. Use the search function as most things have been covered already especially threads about which wheels/tyres, shimano vs campag vs sram and which frame material.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Welcome on board, lot of people know their onions round here. What we lack in numbers, we make up for with wisdom and community spirit.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

And what we lack in wisdom we make up for with educated guess work. Welcome Ficy.

And what we lack in educated guess work we make up for in stupidity and sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    And what we lack in educated guess work we make up for in stupidity and sarcasm
    Sorry, did not understand your post. Who is being sarcastic Martin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    And what we lack in wisdom we make up for with educated guess work. Welcome Ficy.
    Guesswork! I spent nearly 60 years finding out about them bikes and the riding thereof. More if you count the Triang trike.

On the other hand, I know nothing about Raphoss and Dogmatics except the price tag and how they make a MAMIL look daft.

Lataxe

Embrace the new, Lataxe, with trepidation I replaced a frayed internal shifter cable yesterday, it can be done with judicious removal of little access hatches and careful threading. Time to throw away old ideas and conceptions, what good is yesterday's knowledge ? You know it makes sense. The new ways are best. The future is bright.

Hi and welcome Ficy ...I'm quite new myself and have learned a hell of a lot in a short space of time with all the help I received by the kind folk on here .
    Best advice as was given to me is just get out and ride and don't try and over complicate things .

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Embrace the new, Lataxe, with trepidation I replaced a frayed internal shifter cable yesterday, it can be done with judicious removal of little access hatches and careful threading. Time to throw away old ideas and conceptions, what good is yesterday's knowledge ? You know it makes sense. The new ways are best. The future is bright.
    Whilst impressed by your conquer of the little access hatches I have to point out that such skills are like the ability to play the fanglehorn with added belpbox - it's a remarkable achievement but quite unnecessary as such instruments are redundant to music, introducing as they do a certain honking-squeak to the lilts and arpeggios that are distracting and over-complex.

As to these "new conceptions" and "the bright future" - I fear you have become utopian and will therefore be in for a great disappointment when your utopia turns out to have 999 unforeseen conditions, each with 999 unintended consequences. For example ..........

The internal cables in your frame, being unseen, will get up to rascally tricks. They will be rubbing and wearing through the tubes. They will be banging on the same tubes, which amplify the racket as you ride along. One day you will lose a little access hatch, which you cannot find a replacement for. Water will flow into the hole (perhaps it already does go down the hatch) where it combines oxygen and iron down in your gubbins somewhere to cause a rot.

Meanwhile, you decide to produce a spread sheet of your maintenance time on the bike and discover that you have spent 67 hours mucking about with cables and little access hatches on one bike, whereas I have spent just 8.3 hours over my whole 60 years of cycling.

Also, the extra bends in your cables ruin their slick function and the lack of brake modulation causes you to brake over-hard causing a skid & crash into the junction at the bottom of a steep hill, where a tractor runs you over.

But you may not get this far, as all your bright-future gizmos are driving you to despondency with their mocks of your efforts, so you eventually give up cycling, get a large motorbike and do a born-again death swoop into a drystone wall.....

Lataxe, a conservative (not that kind of Conservative).