Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

The Official Tour de France 2017 Thread

Yes yes, not long now, must say the Giro just been in the first time I have ever really gotten into it.

OldMan not looking amazing and such a boring rider, just wheel sucks the competition, never does anything on his own imitative. Don't like the guy on or off the bike. Will be interesting to see who is up for Team Sky. Michał Kwiatkowski is looking crazy strong this year! Is he the sort of man they'd take to support Froome? Take it G will be there now?!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

It will be interesting to see how Froomedog is going after the Dauphine, early season signs not good. So long as G hasn't f***ed his knee he could be Sky's numero uno. I would think Estaban Chaves is a good bet (presume he'll ride), he may be from the same country as the 'old man' but at least he doesn't ride for a Spanish team of cheats so they may wait if someone crashes or needs a dump. Plus he's chatty and he smiles!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Yeah, like Chaves. Admittedly Froome hasn't seemed to be on it quite as much this year! Roll on the Dauphine I say. Such a shame we will never know what G was capable of at the Giro.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

After the thrilling Giro, I hope its an exciting Tour... aside from the fun on Ventoux and a couple of interesting moments last years was not great.

Realistically, I don't think G would have threatened TomDum on the TTs.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

'Ventoux Running Club' was hilarious!

https://threadandspoke.com/products/...x-running-club

In the first TT he wasn't too far off was he?!
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 30th May 2017 at 2:45 PM.

lost in the blinding whiteness of the tundra
    I'll hold my hand up and say I was a Quintana fan but after last year's tour and now the giro I'm struggling to remember why I was!

My bet is Froome will still be the man to beat.

Fair point, I forgot G had been involved in the crash and was only 49 secs off TomDum and well ahead of Quinty.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I've never seen OldMan pull something out of the bag, I've never seen him take the initiative. Only wheel sucking to the highest degree. Boring to watch, but then I've only been watching a few years so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Realistically, I don't think G would have threatened TomDum on the TTs.
    As said he was not far off in the first TT especially considering the injuries he and I think he is a marginally better climber than Tom Tit (forever I will call him that after Poogate), however he is too prone to un jour sans and I don't think he has the stamina for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I've never seen OldMan pull something out of the bag, I've never seen him take the initiative.
    I don't like him one little bit but I think that is a bit unfair, he did try a few times to attack but just didn't have the explosive power or stamina to sustain it. It must be demoralising to attack, slow marginally to recover and then see either Froomedog or Tom Tit grinding their way back up to you. He would not have won La Vuelta if Sky hadn't taken their eye off the ball for one day when they attacked right at the start of the stage, and he would have lost il Giro to Tom Tit by over 3 minutes if not for Poogate.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I think Quinty is consistently up there, which is what the GC is all about. Never spectacular, just chips away and stays in the game.

No less dull than Sky to be fair, but from a specators perspective Sagan he aint.

These days, thankfully, the mega attacks seen in days of yore are passed now that there is a more level playing field, with these guys the elite.

I really enjoy watching the descending as that can be a time where skill and courage comes into it and gaps can open up, or time made up.

Sad that Dumoulin's win will always be linked with Poogate!
    Last edited by PRSboy; 30th May 2017 at 3:42 PM.