Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Ok, educate me
    Here is a diagram of vertebral body.

vertebral-body-anatomy-anatomy-of-vertebral-body-human-anatomy-diagram.jpg

Note the spinous and transverse processes, these are what muscle tendons and ligaments attach to as you correctly understand. Now if you fracture the bony attachment of a tendon of a large muscle group or ligament in a limb joint it is likely this would be crippling and the forces involved require surgery to reattach with strict rest +/- support afterwards to prevent separation. Because the vertebrae and muscles are tightly packed there is little movement and things are held together by the undamaged vertebrae/muscles/tendons/ligaments. Some degree of rest is wise to prevent excessive movement of the fracture bits but they will essentially heal with no support or surgery hence DM was able to get to the end of the Tour with little more of a problem than a painful back.

It is possible to just tear a tendon or ligament from its point of insertion on the bone and strictly speaking this is a separation not a fracture but sometimes the two get merged into one. Of course I could be wrong as I haven't seen the X-rays/scans but it is very unlikely there was anything other than this going on otherwise he wouldn't have got up. As said, rest is wise to speed up the healing process and lessen the pain but if he was really badasse he could just get on with it and it would still heal in time.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 28th July 2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: change of text
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Thank you very much - very enlightening. And I can now tick my 'learn something new every day' box

I got ptsd just reading the first line Carla. Gawd I hated Uni

I "fractured" my spine a few years ago in a MTB accident.It didn't become apparent until a few months later when I had X-Rays done as the pain kept coming and going.
    I reality the "fracture" is just a tiny fragment of bone that chipped of one of my vertibrae It's really difficult to make out unless pointed out but "technically" I've fractured my Spine
    It gives me grief every now and then but there's not a lot they can do really.
    Fractured Spine sounds much better than Chipped anyway and the Radiographer definitely used the term "fractured"

Quote Originally Posted by eliot coolican View Post
    Gawd I hated Uni
    I wouldn't say if shows in your command of the English language eliot!

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Fractured Spine sounds much better than Chipped anyway and the Radiographer definitely used the term "fractured"
    Anything that involves a break in a bone is a fracture, however small, albeit you might refine the description as a chip fracture or it might be an evulsion if a tendon or ligament has pulled off a bone but not actually fractured it. Otherwise its going to involve ligaments/tendons in a joint which then becomes a tear, dislocation, luxation, separation or sprain albeit all sprains are technically minor tears.

I have fractured enough bones, dislocated enough joints and torn enough ligaments to have a good understanding of this even without my anatomical/surgical knowledge!
    Last edited by coolboarder; 31st July 2017 at 9:31 AM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Anyway.....The question is in my head?
    Froome to win 2018 but something tells me Big Tom could be his downfall!

Dumoulin has lost Barguil he's signed for Fortuneo-Oscaro!!????

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Dumoulin has lost Barguil he's signed for Fortuneo-Oscaro!!????
    He won the Giro with pretty well no help from his team anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    He won the Giro with pretty well no help from his team anyway.
    True enough.